Cornerstone is an independent, not-for-profit higher education institution engaged in teaching and learning in service of others, to advance human dignity and social justice for all.
About Community Development.
This is a two-year, part-time programme for individuals who would like to make a difference in their community and for those who are currently employed in the sector and want to enhance their knowledge, skills and competencies. Students will complete the course with the ability to conduct and demonstrate professional practice and implement effective and context specific development strategies in the communities they serve.
Why study Community Development?
Our programme enables graduates to work in a wide variety of community development projects such as, government, NGOs, religious institutions and welfare agencies. We aim to produce community workers who approach their tasks from deep ethical convictions and acquire the sociological knowledge, tools and skills that development studies can provide.
If you have a passion and strong sense of wanting to develop and bring together the community, this course is perfect for you.
Where will it take place?
The Higher certificate course runs on a part-time basis for two years, on campus.
- Academic Literacy.
- Computer Skills.
- Introduction to Sociology of Development.
- Introduction to Community Development.
- Perspectives on Social Transformation.
- Understanding Poverty.
- Urban and Rural development.
- Ethics and Professionalism.
- Conflict Resolution.
- Leadership in Development Projects.
- Community Mobilisation.
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Community Projects.
- Project Management.
- Intercultural Communication
- Community Research Methods
- Fundraising and Resource Mobilisation.
Work Integrated Learning
Work-integrated learning allows for community fieldwork and hands on experience. The real experiences students gain, prepares them for excellence in the employment market and gives them a solid foundation working in the field.
- A National Senior Certificate or National Certificate Vocational (with certificate pass)
- Matriculation Certificate or equivalent.
- Mature age of 45 years be admitted by the RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) conditions and the results of the National Benchmark Test (NBT).
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology/Community Development
- Bachelor of Arts Honours in Community Development
For any further information about admission requirements please.
Visit our website at: www.cornerstone.ac.za