The Siyazisiza Trust
The Siyazisiza Trust is a nonprofit rural economic development agency that has been supporting small-scale farmers across Kwazulu-Natal, Mpumalanga and Eastern Cape for over 30-years. The Trust typically helps farmers to increase their harvests, build their incomes, sustain natural resources, and partner with governments and the private sector to find effective ways to fight poverty.Working for an innovative non-profit rural economic development organisation to supervise farm operations and to assist in enabling the continual and timeous supply of fresh produce from smallholder farmers to market.
The Siyazisiza Trust seeks to appoint the Crop Production Facilitator to be based in Mthunzini, Kwazulu-Natal.
Purpose of Job is to supervise farm operations and to assist in enabling the continual and timeous supply of fresh produce from smallholder farmers to market.
Report to: Supply Chain Manager.
This is a ‘live-in’ position and suitable accommodation will be provided for on the farm within the offered remuneration package.
The post-holder will be responsible for overseeing and co-ordinating the planting, irrigation, spraying, weeding, harvesting and grading of crops both on Siyazisiza’s farm and across its network of supported smallholder farmers. He/she would, under the direction of the Supply Chain Manager, plan and support the production of crops by smallholder farmers plus support the flow of this produce to market,Substantial travel throughout NE KZN will be required..The post-holder will work in close coordination with the Supply Chain Coordinator and the Agri-Enterprise Development Manager to ensure that the correct crops in terms of type, cultivar, quantity and quality are produced by smallholder farmers and on Siyazisiza’s farm.Wherever possible, the post-holder will endeavour to apply regenerative and sustainable agricultural principles in the production of crops. He/she would also ensure that smallholder farmers are properly trained and capacitated to produce crops of the necessary quantity and quality.The post-holder will hold an integral role within Siyazisiza Trust and, as such, will be expected to share knowledge, lessons and expertise across the team.
1.Provision of Smallholder extension services (60%)
- Assisting in the distribution & installation of materials & equipment to Siyazisiza’s network of smallholder farmers;
- Establishing and mentoring of accountable record-keeping systems by smallholder farmers;
- Undertaking quality control of produce;
- Undertake relevant business management and technical training;
- Providing guidance on best practice and suggestions on suitable cultivars;
- Continually refine high yield growing methods for individual crop types and cultivars;
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of most suitable crop types and cultivars;
- Develop and maintain expert knowledge of plant diseases, insects and fungi, as well as plant treatment options;
- Installation and demonstration of infrastructure and equipment;
- Providing guidance on appropriate health and safety practices;
- Identify market demands and explore means to meet this demand.
- Facilitating the development of environmental awareness and appropriate practices;
- Support the identification and establishment of sustainable market linkages.
Coordination of central farm operations (25%)
- With support and direction from the Co-CEO: Programmes and Agri-Enterprise Manager, he/she will coordinate core crop production, trials and demonstration activities on Siyazisiza’s farm;
- Become familiar of regenerative farming practices and to apply this in practice on the farm;
- Support and coordinate the establishment and operation of demonstration and trial crop fields;
- Coordinate and support agricultural interns and volunteers on the farms;
- Manage and maintain farm infrastructure and equipment.
Coordination of fresh produce distribution centre (15%)
- With support and direction from the Supply Chain Manager and Agri-Infrastructure Manager, he/she will coordinate the receipt, handling, processing and dispatch of fresh produce from smallholder farmers at Siyazisiza’s distribution centre;
- He/she will become familiar with and apply food safety and hygiene practices at the centre;
- Manage and maintain centre infrastructure and equipment;
- Apply strict administration systems to support high levels of crop traceability and quality management.
Contribute and assist with content for the Trust’s website, newsletter and social media platforms;
Write relevant reports for management and/or for funders as outlined in funding agreements;
To support the development of strategic relationships with regional key decision makers.
To undertake other duties which may arise from time to time as requested by management.
To support and comply with the organisation's Policies and Procedures.
The post holder will stay on and operate from Siyazisiza’s farm in Mthunzini, Kwazulu-Natal.
Substantial travel throughout NE KZN will be required.
How to Apply:
Please submit your CV, together a with cover letter motivating your suitability for the above role, to email@example.com.
NB: Please include “Crop Production: Application” in the subject line.
Shortlisting and interviews will be conducted in mid-January 2021.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about The Siyazisiza Trust, refer to siyazisiza.co.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies
Due to the amount of applications received it is not always possible for Siyazisiza to respond to each application. If you have not heard back by 31st January 2021, please accept that your application has not been successful on this occasion.