mothers2mothers (m2m) is an Africa-based NGO that unlocks the potential of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create healthy families across ten sub-Saharan African countries. m2m trains, employs, and helps empower women living with HIV to work as community healthcare workers in understaffed health centres and underserved communities. Through a peer-to-peer approach, these ‘Mentor Mothers’ deliver a range of health services, advice, and support to women and their families. Started in Cape Town, South Africa in 2001 with an initial focus on preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV, m2m has innovated and built on its strengths and now provides family-centred support for a range of related health and social issues spanning pregnancy, birth, childhood, and adolescence. It also partners with governments and other NGOs on the adoption of its programme to spread the Mentor Mother Model and its benefits. m2m has a track record of scaling its services and proven impact. To date, m2m has reached over 11M women and children under two, and created more than 11,000 jobs for African women living with HIV. For more, visit www.m2m.org.
Senior SBCC Technical Advisor - Cape Town
Over the last decade, m2m’s programme strategy has achieved great strides in improving health outcomes for women, children and their families using our evidence-based face-to-face interpersonal communication and support of women, children, and their families. m2m’s Peer-to-Peer model is based on m2m’s theory of change that is a Social Ecological Model of Health Promotion and other related social and behavioural change models that hinge around understanding the relationship between individuals and their environment – i.e. the reciprocal interactions that take place on multiple levels between the individual, people close to them, their community, institutions. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, mothers2mothers has diversified our programmatic service offerings to include an eService delivery range that focuses on phone-based motivational education/counselling and interactive social behavioural change communication (SBCC) delivered against a Virtual Mentor Mother WhatsApp-based platform. m2m focuses on family centred approaches that promote health pregnancy, safe motherhood, healthy childhood, teen health and living with chronic diseases. Through cell phone-based personalised support and conversations with women, men, children and adolescents, based on their segmentation, m2m aims to support universal health coverage in 10 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. We pride ourselves in being open to new ways of thinking, and encourage diverse points of view. Experience is important to us, but not as much as a team player who has ideas and passion to bring to the table.
The Senior SBCC Technical Advisor will lead the design and implementation of evidence‐based social and behaviour change communication (SBCC) across multi‐sectoral programmes implemented by m2m. The focus of the Senior SBCC Technical Advisor will be both to support paper-based/print based SBCC as well as digital health solutions and virtual SBCC platforms. Based in Cape Town.
Key Performance Areas
Technical Design and oversight
- Design m2m’s social behavioural change and communication/marketing (SBCC) technical programme framework and implementation toolkit based on evidence‐based SBCC strategies Globally, regionally and across implementing countries
- Oversee the implementation of m2m’s SBCC programme across country programmes while providing technical assistance for adaptations that meet local and donor needs
- Provide high-quality technical assistance to core and country programs in support of effective programming across SBCC and/or market‐based activities
- Identify promising innovative SBCC and marketing strategies globally and within country programs, develop program guidance, and provide day-to-day support for collaboration, adaptation and learnings
- Actively contribute to the project’s technical direction by developing strategies and partnerships to increase program coverage, visibility, and resource availability
- Provide technical oversight and capacity building support for the roll out, implementation and scale up of m2m’s SBCC interventions starting with m2m’s current eService delivery range
- Facilitate global and regional linkages to ensure development of quality, evidence‐based technical tools and guides used to increase capacity of and support to global sector priorities .
Quality Assurance and Quality improvement
- Collaborate with the project’s monitoring and evaluation staff to carry out operations research related to program delivery and contribute to other research efforts as needed.
- Lead the development of quality assurance and quality improvement framework for m2m’s SBCC interventions
- Lead data-driven performance reviews for independent SBCC projects or those implemented as an integral part of broader country programs
- Conduct regular capacity development for social and behavioural change among m2m’s teams including communications, country technical teams and DPTS counterparts
- Lead the conceptualization of new projects as part of m2m’s business development/ or fundraising
- Provide innovative and responsive technical direction including skills development to increase m2m’s portfolio in SBCC beyond Peer-to-Peer interpersonal communication
- Write technical concepts for DPTS-led responses to funding and
Representation and Advocacy
- Participate in global networks to represent m2m and advocate for increased commitments to m2m’a SBCC strategies
- Design or contribute to research and analysis to develop SBCC strategies, including psychographic and consumer research and market assessments
- Provide up‐to‐date, evidence based technical and policy briefs, and develop or manage the creation of evidence‐ based program standards with key stakeholders.
- Participate in program design and development of implementation activities (strategic planning, program presentation, advocacy and policy meetings), as appropriate.
- Contribute to the development of team (both global and country) work plans and budgets, ensuring consistency with project direction and strategy.
- Supervise consultants, and mentor Technical Specialists and/or Program Officers to facilitate professional growth and development.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Behavioural Science, Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience in non-profit/NGO/international development or philanthropic programme or project management, with a focus on public health
- Experience with SBCC intervention design and content development is a must
- Experience of writing funding/business development concept notes and proposals and reports.
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa and with multi-cultural teams.
- Experience working with diverse groups of stakeholders such as government, NGOs, funders and private-sector partners.
- Experience with U.S. Government-funded programmes, multilateral and bilateral donors.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including cultural sensitivity.
- Excellent writing skills including analytical reports and proposals.
- Strong research, analytical and interpretative skills.
- Highly organized, reliable, with excellent attention to detail.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks and work to strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.
- Strong IT skills essential, including MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Willingness to travel in Sub-Saharan Africa.
mothers2mothers is an equal opportunity employer. We particularly encourage applications from people living with HIV and AIDS (PLWHA), people with disabilities, women and previously disadvantaged people.
Competitive salary packages will be negotiable in accordance with m2m’s remuneration policies.
Interested applicants should apply for this position via https://www.m2m.org/careers/ by 23 October 2020.