Symphonia for South Africa (SSA)
Symphonia for South Africa (SSA) NPC is a non-profit organisation that mobilises active citizenship, cross-sectoral collaboration and leadership around one of South Africa’s critical issues, education. This is achieved primarily through its flagship programme, Partners for Possibility (PfP). PfP is a unique programme that partners business leaders with principals from under-resourced schools in a year-long, collaborative and very practical journey designed to develop leadership skills, enhance school management and develop a deeper understanding of the challenges within South Africa. The team delivering the PfP programme has a clear culture of collaboration, co-operation and shared leadership.
SSA seeks to appoint a Monitoring & Evaluation Lead to be based in Gauteng.
Reports To: The M&E Lead will report to the PfP Programme Director.
Employment type: Full time role
Remuneration: R 50,000 per month cost to company (negotiable).
Start Date: 1 December 2020
The purpose of this position is to find a like-minded individual to assume the position, with a view to leading the M&E team to excel in their individual fields of responsibility and contribute to the well-being of the programme and the organisation. Accountability for all Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) activity across South Africa. Contributing to the effectiveness, quality and impact of the PfP programme through coordination and management of monitoring and evaluation activities. Provision of accurate and timely reports and management information.
- Lead the M&E team and interact with other leadership positions and key role players in PfP to promote an integrated approach to M&E in the organisation.
- Guide and oversee the work of M&E staff and interns and identify additional M&E resources as and when required.
- Source and provide direction and oversight for the work of external monitoring and evaluation resources and processes, including external evaluations. This includes development of Terms of Reference, calls for proposals and proposal writing to obtain funding of M&E initiatives.
- Compile and regularly update an annual reporting schedule and prepare and present reports in line with SSA standards and requirements of donors, funders and the SSA Board.
- Implement, improve and update the M&E framework, tools and practice and build awareness within the organisation regarding the utility of monitoring and evaluation within PfP.
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of appropriate and adequate data management systems and repositories to enhance the efficiency of the M&E processes in order to produce quality outputs cost-effectively.
- Conduct qualitative end-of-partnership interviews with school principals and business partners and track medium-term impact of PfP partnerships.
- Keep up to date with new developments in M&E and engage with leaders in the monitoring and evaluation field to make new approaches and technology accessible to PfP.
- Tertiary qualification in M&E or a relevant analytical field of study, or equivalent work experience
- Proven competence in qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, as well as high-level report writing
- Able to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and virtual environment that demands hands-on work as well as astute strategic thinking
- Experience in developing and coordinating data collection, processing and analysis systems
- Excellent communication and report writing skills
- Strong decision-making skills
- Advanced computer skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in cross-cultural settings
- Ability to assume a management role
- Ability and willingness for periodic travel
- Own transport or means of travel essential
- Role requirements – highly desirable:
- Degree in Monitoring and Evaluation
- Five years relevant working experience in monitoring and evaluation in a relevant sector, such as education, leadership development, community development, corporate social investment, the NGO/CBO sector, or donor funding environment
- Experience in the development of M&E systems and tools
- Membership of an evaluation association
- Competence in qualitative and quantitative evaluation design and implementation
- Experience with monitoring programme implementation using qualitative and quantitative approaches
- Proficiency in more than one South African language
To apply, please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Application: M&E Lead.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
The application must include:
- Your CV
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and your relevant experience
- At least three references with contact details
For more about Symphonia for South Africa, refer to www.symphonia.net
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancie