SHAWCO is a student-run, non-profit community outreach organisation, independent from, but based at UCT. SHAWCO’s mission is to practice and promote responsible citizenship in the South African context through Health and Education initiatives. SHAWCO Education aims to provide holistic learning environments in under-resourced communities, with volunteers facilitating after-school sessions and activities. SHAWCO Health hosts free primary health clinics in underserved communities in Cape Town, in the form of adult, women's and paediatric clinics.
SHAWCO seeks to appoint a Director to be based in Cape Town.
for an initial period of twelve months commencing on 2nd January 2021.
Employment Type: 12 month fixed term contract, position available three days per week, subject to change as needed.
Remuneration: offered up to R 40,000 total cost to company per month, according to experience and qualifications.
The position is based at the SHAWCO Head Office, Braemar House, on the UCT Faculty of Health Sciences campus in Observatory. The appointment would initially be on a part-time basis (equivalent to three days a week) with possible extension to full-time at a later date. The main purpose of the role is to provide strategic direction, leadership and operational management in order to facilitate and create a sustainable and efficiently managed organisation.
The purpose of this position is to find a suitably qualified individual who has the passion and drive to continue the SHAWCO legacy, working closely with and supporting student leadership in the organisation.
- Relevant university degree, preferably in education, project management or related disciplines
- A minimum of 5 years relevant management experience with developed leadership and proven operational management skills
- A consultative management approach and a willingness to engage with and learn from the experience of others, particularly student leadership
- Strong strategic management and analytical skills
- Good verbal and written communication
- Good understanding and experience of human resource management, financial and operations management
- Experience and skills in building and maintaining funder relationships
- Experience in working across multiple and diverse communities
- Proven ability to formulate and manage policy processes in a complex, dynamic work environment
- Demonstrated communication and networking capabilities, including building partnerships with community and civil society organizations, corporate and/or government organizations
- Ability to carry high workload and work under pressure
- Good computer skills
- Willingness to travel (mainly in the Cape Town metro)
- Drivers license and own transport
- Advantages include:
- Experience in the non-governmental organisational environment
- Experience in fundraising
- Experience in a tertiary educational institution
- Experience in the health or education sector
- Providing overall leadership and direction to create a sustainable and efficiently managed organization
- Developing policy and strategy for consideration by the Board
- Ensuring proper governance and oversight
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable legislation
- Executing approved policy and strategy
- Facilitating and supporting the execution of student initiatives and projects
- Managing SHAWCO’s operations and resources
- Managing Human Resources
- Managing relationships and partnerships within the University and with communities
- Maintaining donor/stakeholder relationships
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting on all activities within SHAWCO
- Providing the secretariat for the Board
To apply, please email your CV, with three contactable referes, and a 1 page letter of motivation to:
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
An application which does not comply with the above requirements will be regarded as incomplete.
SHAWCO is committed to employment equity and redress in the pursuit of transformation.
SHAWCO reserves the right to extend the closing date if deemed necessary, and to make no appointment.
For more about SHAWCO, refer to www.shawco.org.
To view other opportunities, refer to www.ngopulse.org/group/home-page/other-opportunities.