Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS)
Trade & Industrial Policies Strategies (TIPS) is an independent, non-profit, economic research institution based in Pretoria. It was established in 1996 to support economic policy development, with an emphasis on industrial policy, in South Africa and the region. TIPS has three main areas of work: trade and industrial policy; inequality and economic inclusion; and sustainable growth. TIPS’s main objectives are to undertake in-depth economic analyses, especially at the industrial level; to provide quality research as the basis for improving industrial policy as well as broader economic development strategies; and to support an increasingly dynamic and evidence-based discourse on industrial policy and inclusive growth with academics, other researchers and stakeholders. TIPS offers high quality quantitative and qualitative research, project management, dialogue facilitation, capacity building and knowledge sharing. TIPS undertakes commissioned research, as well as policy papers and think pieces around industrial policy and economic development.
TIPS seeks to appoint a Economist to be based in Pretoria.
The focus of the position will be on sourcing, handling and analysing economic data, particularly at the level of industry and in value chains. With one to two years’ work experience to assist in undertaking research around trade and industrial policy in South Africa and the region. TIPS’s research approach is on generating and analysing evidence-based options for industrial policy as the key to more inclusive economic growth.
- Perform economic research under the guidance of the line manager, and provide research input and data analysis;
- Liaise with and support policy-making entities dealing with economic development, industrial policy and international trade in South Africa (and elsewhere in the region as appropriate) in line with TIPS's mandate and priorities;
- Participate in and present research at internal discussions and workshops / events
- Publish research reports through the TIPS website, other publications, conferences, seminars, etc.; and
- A post-graduate qualification (at least a Masters’ degree) in Economics and at least one to two years of economic research and/or policy experience
- Experience in data handling and analysis (GDP, Employment, International Trade, Investment and Finances) is a required core competency
- Strong computer skills, with a proven ability to manipulate data in Excel and knowledge of Stata or SPSS
- A passion for industrial policy and inclusive economic development, with knowledge of national and international developments on industrial policy, trade and other economic issues;
- An understanding of international trade, industrial policy and regional integration
- Strong communication skills in writing, editing and presentation, with an excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Teamwork and an ability to handle tight deadlines
Non-South African applicants should have authority to work in South Africa.
To apply, please send a short CV, a cover letter highlighting your interest for the position and how you match the requirements as well as a writing sample via e-mail to Edmore at Edmore@tips.org.za.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
They can only consider applications with all of these components.
Correspondence will be limited to short-listed applicants only.
You can see more about our work at www.tips.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies