Sustainable Coffee Bay (SCB)
Sustainable Coffee Bay (SCB) was formally started in 2011, but grew out of the projects that have been run informally by Coffee Shack Backpackers as far back as 2002. SCB has three major focus areas: Early Childhood Development, Education and Youth Development, and Rural Assistance. This organisation is still closely associated with Coffee Shack Backpackers.
SCB seeks to appoint a Projects Manager to be based in Eastern Cape, South Africa.
Employment type: Full time position. This position is a fixed term contract for one year, subject to a probation period. The renewal of this contract will be based on performance and the availability of funding.
Remuneration: Sustainable Coffee Bay is offering a remuneration package which includes accommodation (private room with shared facilities) and food (2 meals per day) as well as a salary of between R9 000 - R12 000 per month, depending on skills, qualifications, and experience.
The purpose of the position is to a senior role within the organisation, and the Projects Manager is responsible for overseeing a number of staff as well as working hands-on to manage various projects and programmes. This position is ideal for a hard-working and dedicated person, who is looking to live close to the ocean to swim, surf, hike, and enjoy the beautiful and rural nature of the Wild Coast. The ideal candidate for this job will be someone who is able to manage a diverse array of responsibilities and tasks. Importantly, this role is suited to a person who enjoys implementing projects in a hands-on fashion. The Projects Manager needs to be able to handle completing a large number of routine tasks and duties with little oversight, as well as is being able to adapt to new situations and tasks that may arise. Flexibility, self-directedness and enthusiasm are all key. Experience in fundraising, monitoring & evaluation, donor reporting, and social media marketing would be very advantageous, however, this position might suit a talented individual who is willing and able to learn these skills. Experience in managing people is important for this role, as this position will oversee a number of staff. This role requires high levels of responsibility and attention to detail. This job may be an excellent growth opportunity for someone who wants to learn about all aspects of running a small NGO in a rural area. The Projects Manager will work closely with the board members and chairman of the organisation.
- Operational and project management
- Various project-related tasks
- Managing staff
- Fundraising, grant writing, and donor relations
- Monitoring, evaluation, and reporting
- Communications and social media marketing
- Writing blog posts
- Building and maintaining positive community relations
- Making payments and maintaining financial records
- Bachelor’s Degree (required)
- Excellent writing skills (required)
- Minimum two years professional work experience (this could be in an unrelated field) (required)
- Strong managerial experience (required)
- Hands-on work style (required)
- Detail-oriented with ability to manage multiple tasks on specific timelines (required)
- Flexible and adaptable personality (required)
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure (required)
- High levels of responsibility, energy, and enthusiasm (required)
- Willingness to learn new things (required)
- Self-directed and able to work with little supervision (required)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel (required)
- Ability to maintain basic financial records and accounting systems (required)
- Open and friendly personality (required)
- Valid Driver’s Licence (required)
- More than 5 year relevant work experience (preferred)
- Fundraising skills, knowledge and experience (preferred)
- Grant-writing experience (preferred)
- Good understanding of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) (preferred)
- Experience writing donor reports (preferred)
- Donor relations experience (preferred)
- Communications experience, in particular social media marketing (preferred)
- Experience working in rural environments (preferred)
- Proficiency in Xhosa and/or Zulu languages (preferred)
- Strong capabilities in finance and accounting (preferred)
- Staff Training and Development skills and experience (preferred)
- Partner and stakeholder networking experience (preferred)
The ideal candidate for this position is both a leader and team-player who is able to take responsibility for tasks and deliverables and solve problems as they arise.
To apply: Please send the following to email@example.com
- Your CV (max 3 pages)
- A one page cover letter (explaining why you are interested in this position specifically, and how your skills are relevant to job description)
- Please do not send any additional documents (such as identity documents or certificates)
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
In the subject line of your email, please write “Application: SCB Manager 2020_[Insert Your Name]”
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis up until the deadline.
Please do not call their offices. If you have questions, please ask them via email. Please indicate that you have questions in the subject line of your email.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. If you do not hear back from them by 6 October 2020 please assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
For more about Sustainable Coffee Bay, refer to www.sustainablecoffeebay.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies