Job title: Project Medical Referent
Job Grade: 12
Work Location: Rustenburg project
Duration: 10 months fixed term contract
Start date: ASAP
Reports to: Project Coordinator
MSF SGBV project in South Africa is strategically located in Bojanala district in North West Province’s platinum mining belt.In Rustenburg, MSF supports the DOH in implementing the one-stop patient-centered model of care for survivors of sexual and gender-based violence which is called the Kgomotso Care Centre (KCC). The first Kgomotso Care Centre started operating in Boitekong clinic as a stand-alone structure from mid-2015 in Rustenburg. In the second half of 2016, MSF has extended support to two decentralized KCCs in Madibeng sub-district, which is Bapong and Letlhabile. It is MSF policy to provide contraceptive options and safe abortion care as part of its response to women’s and girls’ health needs. Only those who are willing to implement and professionally support this policy should apply for this position.
SUMMARY OF POSITION: Participates in defining, planning and monitoring medical activities and programs in the project in accordance with MSF's protocols as well as coordinates human and material related resources needed in order to ensure the quality of care provided by MSF
- Medical doctor or paramedical degree. Desirable specialization or training in Tropical Medicine or related studies (for OCB, OCBA, this is essential too)
- Essential 2 year working experience related to the diploma/degree and previous experience in MSF in the field
- Essential mission language, local language desirable
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- People Management and Development L2
- Commitment to MSF Principles L2
- Behavioural Flexibility L3
- Results and Quality Orientation L3
- Teamwork and Cooperation L3
- In collaboration with the Project Coordinator and the rest of team, the Medical Coordinator and MoH partners, defines, implements and monitors medical activities, according to MSF project plans, standards and protocols. Participates in exploratory missions, situation assessments (defining medical operational priorities when needed) and the development of the project policy, annual plan, budget review and project proposal and reports to donors. Ensures regular contact with MoH and other local medical actors
- Is responsible for the medical data collection, analysis and reporting to the Medical Coordination in the capital in order to ensure a proper monitoring of the program
- Provides technical support to medical personnel in the field through self-knowledge and policies, ensuring compliance with the protocols of MSF medical activities.
- Coordinates, supervises, coaches, supports and evaluates the medical team members’ performance to improve the medical components of the project and ensure compliance with MSF protocols and standards as well as MoH protocols.
- Plans and supervises, in close coordination with the Project Coordinator, the associated processes (recruitment, training, induction, performance evaluation, development and internal / external communication) of the medical staff of the project in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required and improve staff capabilities.
- Supervises an efficient management of the MSF field pharmacy and medical equipment, in collaboration with the Logistics department and project biomedical service and in consideration of program directions and protocol changes. Monitors consumption and preparation of medical orders to provide drugs, medical materials, medical devices and consumables at all circumstances and avoid stock shortage.
- Implements the health policy for international and national staff, providing all prophylactic and preventive necessary measures, structures and emergency plans, managing any medical evacuation in order to ensure MSF staff health.
Context Specific Accountabilities
- Finalise the formal handover of activities, in collaboration with managers, deputy FC/FC and coordination team, specifically for:
- KCCs to department of Health
- CTOP activities (Trainings, EVA trainings, IPC, mentoring on the ground etc) to DOH as well as to partner organisations
- HP activities to Department of Education and partner organizations
- In collaboration with managers/deputy FC/FC/coordination, support and finalise the capitalization of activities in producing advocacy related documents,:
- CTOP experience
- School toolkit
- In collaboration with deputy FC, support other advocacy related activities
- In collaboration with the field co/deputy fieldco and communication mission officer validate the medical content of communication messages
- Support the epidemiologist and ensure project database are updated, indicators are reviewed and relevant, and a proper documentation and reporting system ensues.
- Support the HR processes towards closure of the project
- Ensure that stock out in DOH facility is properly documented and process for reporting to Stop Stock out project is in place and follow up by the managers
- Staff health:
- In collaboration with HR department and with the support of the deputy Medco, ensure that the NSHP is accessible and understood by the team.
- In charge of the expatriate health with the support of the Medco, ensure that the expatriate health policy is available and understood by the team.
- Together with the PC and deputy field co, ensure good networking to represent MSF in particular, attend national, provincial, sub district meetings and quarterly district stakeholder’s meetings, provincial and district VEP fora, TCC stakeholder meetings, and initiate bilateral and multilateral meetings with partners as required.
Job advantages and Career opportunities
- Experience in a well-known and professionally recognized international medical humanitarian organisation
- Salary package comparable to other non-profit organisations
- 100% medical aid, 13th cheque and 10% contribution to pension
TO APPLY: please email a one page application letter, your comprehensive CV with details of 3 contactable referees to:
msfocb-rustenburg-LAF@brussels.msf.org MSF reserves the right not to make an appointment if a suitable candidate cannot be found. While MSF thanks all interested applicants, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Please note that MSF does not request a fee at any stage of the recruitment process
Closing date: 01 August 2020