DAI is an international development company. For over 40 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
Terms of Reference
Information and Communications Assistant
These TORs detail the obligations and responsibilities to provide for the effective management of the project. It details the issues for which the Information and Communications Assistant is accountable to ensure the project’s successful delivery.
Start date: ASAP
Input basis: Part-time until September, Full-time from September 2020 to March 2023
Supervision: The Information and Communications Assistant will report to the Access to Information and Trade Promotion Lead.
Based in: Johannesburg, South Africa with occasional regional/national travel
The Prosperity Fund (PF) is a cross-government development assistance fund with the primary objective of reducing poverty in developing Middle-income Countries (MICs) and creating opportunities for international business, including UK companies. The Global Trade Programme (GTP) aims to provide TA and support to facilitate free trade and open markets by helping them to identify and remove Nontariff Barriers (NTBs) to Trade, including Standards, Regulations, Customs and Trade Facilitation. The GTP’s primary objective is poverty reduction, promotion of gender equality and inclusive growth.
OBJECTIVE OF THE PROGRAMME
DAI is contracted to provide management and technical support services to the Foreign Commonwealth Office in support of the Trade Forward Southern Africa (TFSA). TFSA will provide both capacity building and technical assistance to support growth in trade and find targeted solutions that will improve gender equality in trade and alleviate poverty across the countries within SACU+M (South Africa, Botswana, Eswatini (fka Swaziland), Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia).
The main activities included within the programme are:
- Increased access to information and trade promotion;
- Support in compliance with market standards and integration in supply chain/value chains;
- Trade and customs training and improving access; and
- Equality for women in trade.
This programme is expected to: increase opportunities to trade; overcome NTBs to trade in goods; improve export performance, and in doing so achieve a reduction in poverty and have a gender positive impact on trade in SACU+M, as well as to help facilitate trade continuity between SACU+M and the UK post-EU exit
SCOPE OF WORK
The Information and Communications assistant will provide support to the Information Hub component of Trade Forward Southern Africa. He/she will provide guidance on communications and branding strategies to ensure alignment with the client’s requirements. He/she will provide consistent formatting to all documents prior to submission to the client and publishing externally. He/she will coordinate on planning and implementation of events, workshops, seminars etc.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the Access to Information and Trade Promotion Lead, Programme Advisor and Team Lead with project reporting, coordination and data management
- Carry out basic analysis and packaging information for dissemination of findings and learning
- Disseminate research and learning from the project to business actors
- Support the Access to Information and Trade Promotion lead on desk-based research, report writing and editing, as well as internal communications and dissemination of learning.
- Reporting, Coordination and data management of the SACU+M Project
- Keep track of key performance indicators for the project by updating tracking sheet and creating relevant monitoring tools when appropriate
- Work with DAIE Project Manager to produce quarterly financial and narrative reports.
- Draft regular updates for steering group meetings and prepare relevant documentation ahead of meetings
- Coordination with external stakeholders (consultants and suppliers) to ensure timely provision of services and manage invoicing process
- Coordination with the project team to share learning when appropriate and gathering learning that could strengthen project deliverables
- Carry out basic analysis and packaging information for the dissemination of the project findings and learning
- Carry out basic analysis of the data generated by the project for communication and dissemination materials
- Create dissemination materials for different audiences and events as part of the advocacy component of the project
- Coordinate feedback on testing and adapting learning materials
- Support the organisation of dissemination events and materials
- Support with the logistics for events planning and trainings
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to produce communication materials for different audiences.
- Ability to adapt and communicate appropriately with a wide range of stakeholders in both written and oral communications.
- Experience of disseminating learning/information to a wide range of audiences.
- Experience of producing high-quality brochures, leaflets, invitations and other dissemination materials.
- Experience and skills in networking and relationship building.
- Excellent attention to detail, information management and organisational skills
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment and prioritise and work to meet conflicting deadlines.
- Excellent spoken and written English.
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Office, Internet, Graphics/Publisher, Website Management Skills)
- Advanced social media skills using Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Basic understanding of web-based hosting, ability to understand principles of knowledge hub management, loading and file organisation
- Good financial management skills.
Please note that all profiles are indicative only and therefore subject to change.
Please submit applications to TCBP_Recruitment@dai.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.