Lawyers against Abuse (LvA)
LvA is an NGO based in Diepsloot, an informal settlement in the northern part of Johannesburg. They provide direct legal and psychosocial services to victims of gender-based violence (GBV), including sexual violence, domestic violence, and child abuse. LvA works closely with local state actors, including police officers, prosecutors, clerks, magistrates, and government health officials. LvA also facilitates awareness-raising initiatives such as school and community workshops.
LvA seeks to appoint a legal officer to be based in Diepsloot, Johannesburg.
Employment Type: Full-time basis
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Remuneration: Negotiable, based on experience and qualifications.
- Assist clients in obtaining protection orders including the initial application, advising on submission and service, and supporting clients through final hearing.
- Provide comprehensive support in criminal cases including court support and regular engagement with police officers, prosecutors and other court personnel to ensure the law is being applied accurately and effectively.
- Provide general legal advice and make referrals to other service providers as needed.
- Work closely with LvA’s mental health professionals to implement integrated services model.
- Engage with local state actors and community stakeholders as needed for purposes of relationship strengthening, accountability, and capacity building as needed.
- Maintain client files.
- Write reports and other documentation.
- LLB degree required.
- Experience working with victims of gender-based violence or other vulnerable populations preferred.
- Experience providing direct legal services within a community-based setting preferred.
- Strong understanding of women’s rights and issues around gender-based violence.
- Competencies Required:
- Fluency in isiZulu, Sepedi and/or Tshivenda.
- High levels of flexibility, strong leadership skills, a clear sense of purpose, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, both individually and in a team.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to exercise discretion and maintain the confidentiality required.
- Strong computer skills, especially with Microsoft Office suite.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
LvA reserves the right to not hire for this position should no suitable candidates apply.
To know more about Lawyers against Abuse, refer to www.lva.org.za
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies