ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability
(2-year fixed term contract position with the potential of renewal)
ICLEI–Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of over 1 750 cities and other subnational governments committed to building a sustainable future. ICLEI provides technical services, capacity building, networking opportunities and cutting-edge urban solutions to its member cities and their communities. ICLEI’s African Head Office, which serves ICLEI’s member cities from across Africa, is based in Cape Town (www.africa.iclei.org). ICLEI Africa also proudly hosts ICLEI’s global Cities Biodiversity Center (CBC) which works with cities and partners across the world (www.cbc.iclei.org).
We are looking for a suitably qualified individual who is passionate about cities and nature, and has internet research, digital media and communications skills. He/she needs to be a conscientious individual with a ‘can do’ attitude who is self-motivated, can adapt quickly, work well under pressure and think on his/her feet.
ICLEI’s flagship global partnership programme on nature and cities, CitiesWithNature, is growing, and we are looking for a candidate to support expansion into new thematic areas and offerings. This will iclude the recruitment of cities to CitiesWithNature, as well as assisting the team with communications and knowledge management tasks.
Our successful candidate must be diplomatic, sensible, enjoy a challenge and be comfortable engaging with people at different levels. He/she must have strong organisational skills and attention to detail, be creative and innovative, and have proven experience in the following areas:
- Website content management: Producing and editing content, and updating websites (e.g. Wordpress)
- Social media: Researching and creating content for Twitter and Instagram campaigns
- Internet research and data mining: Collection, interpreting, capturing and management of data, content classification
- Writing and editing
- Stakeholder liaison and engagement with a wide range of public officials at different levels, NGOs, academics, professionals and other actors
- Growing and managing distribution lists and social media followers
- Compilation of newsletters and mailers
- Database management
- Compiling progress reports
The following would be advantageous:
- Website conceptualisation
- Video editing
- Instagram account management
Candidates should be delivery and results-orientated; have a strong city / local government orientation and focus and a well-developed awareness of the role cities and regions play in biodiversity conservation, and the overall resilience of cities.
- Relevant qualification in a field related to environmental communications
- At least 1 year of relevant experience
- Excellent English written, presentation and verbal communication skills
- Highly computer literate
- Good eye for design
- Good people skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, in multiple and multi-disciplinary teams across the world, in a highly dynamic, fast-paced and creative environment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently, effectively and accurately
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff, as well as manage consultants
- Ability to be agile and flexible about work responsibilities, prioritise and thrive under pressure
- Ability to navigate complex organisational and project structures
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, well-organised, attention to detail and quality, and a structured and pro-active working style
- Interest in continuous learning and professional development, and eagerness to grow within the company and team in an environment that actively supports and steers progress and encourages advancement in line with performance
- Valid code B driving license, with at least one year’s driving experience
- South African resident/valid work or critical skills permit
- Must willingness to travel
- Proficiency in another global language, especially French or Portuguese will be a strong added advantage.
Please forward the following documents to Sonya Smith - firstname.lastname@example.org - by 11h00 SAST on 14 February 2020:
- Comprehensive CV
- Covering (motivating) letter
- Certified copy of your ID (and if relevant, visa)
- Available starting date
- Three contactable references
No late applications will be considered.
A market-related and competitive annual remuneration package (TCOE based) will be offered to successful candidates, taking into consideration qualifications and experience.
Applicants who have not been contacted within 60 working days after the closing date of this advertisement should regard their applications as unsuccessful.
ICLEI Africa reserves the right not to appoint an individual in relation to this job advert.
ICLEI Africa is open to applications for internships and volunteering in fields relevant to sustainability on an ongoing basis.