True North Consulting NPC
True North is a nonprofit organisation founded in 2007, prompted by the desire to bring meaningful change to vulnerable and underprivileged communities in South Africa through education, research and sharing of technology. The organisation’s core focus is to establish places of light, nurture, learning and safety for children aged 0-5 years and to set a new standard for the education, nurture and holistic development of pre-school children and their caregivers by teaching, supporting, equipping and connecting Early Childhood Development (ECD) leaders so that all children aged 0-5 years are prepared for their lifelong learning.
True North seeks to appoint a Communications Leader to be based in based in Cape Town.
Start Date: Approximately 1 March 2020
Remuneration: Salary scale commensurate with qualifications and experience - R180 000 – R192 000 p.a. total cost to company.
The pupose of the position is to contribute to the activities of True North and to participate in the improvement of early childhood development within Vrygrond and Overcome Heights, as well as other marginalised communities. An integral part of this position is internal and external communications and marketing planning, strategy and execution, budgeting and community relations. It is important that the Communications Leader is a confident verbal and written communicator who has the ability to integrate seamlessly into the current organizational culture and team. As a bonus, the ideal candidate will have a basic understanding of the Early Childhood Development and NPO landscape and will not be intimidated by working in a marginalized community with all its complexities.
- Live the True North values which are God first - the I AM, Humility, Focus, Learning and Relationships
- Engage in the heart of the organisation by participating in the development opportunities offered and always trying to extend compassion and empathy to all stakeholders.
- Have a heart for the community of Vrygrond and Overcome Heights, ECD and social justice
- Facilitate the creation and implementation of TN internal and external communications plan and processes.
- Manage current communication channels (i.e. social media, website etc) and research and communicate new channels of communication in line with True North strategy
- Create/Edit copy in partnership with team and funding relationship managers to communicate uniquely designed information to stakeholders** (For example — Keep track of and help create proposals and reports to stakeholders, project booklet etc.)
- Consolidate and update TN branding and ensure consistency
- Facilitate design of communications material including marketing, advocacy and knowledge share, like the annual report, project handbooks etc. using M & E impact data.
- Degree/Diploma (Marketing; Communications; Public Relations) + 2 years’ experience or at least 5 years’ experience in similar role
- Excellent and proven writing and editing skills
- Experience planning, managing and executing successful communications, marketing, PR campaigns
- Prior experience writing content, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Understanding of social media dynamics & use for impact communication
- Ability and desire to work effectively in a high performing team environment.
- Powerful communicator
- Effective team player: Meet deadlines, put out fires, multitask. Work fast and work well with others.
- Experience handling highly confidential information in a professional manner
- Self-sufficient proficiency with MS Office and Internet applications
The ideal candidate would be a strong communicator, someone who is ready to accept the challenge to raise awareness about early childhood development, elicit interest in True North’s activities and create opportunities for True North to increase its overall performance and impact in the community.
The selected candidate will work in a close knit team in a faith-based, high performing environment.
**Stakeholders include: ECD Principals, teachers, parents, partners, local leaders, volunteers and funders
Please draft a letter of motivation addressed to the Operations Director, detailing why you are interested in this opportunity along with your CV and at least 3 contactable references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interview phase which will take place in February 2020.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about True North, refer to www.true-north.co.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.