Ubuntu Pathways is a 20-year-old non-profit organization based in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, providing comprehensive support to over 2,000 orphaned and vulnerable children. Ubuntu Pathways has an independent school with children in grades R-4. Their approach to education is progressive, co-constructivist and nurturing. The Ubuntu School is changing the status quo in education to create a culture of creativity and collaboration, fostering independence and supporting each child on their educational journey-while along the way, supporting each child and their family with their health and psychosocial support needs.
Ubuntu seeks to appoint Educators in various teaching positions to be in Port Elizabeth.
The purpose of the position is to be committed to implementing progessive educational models in the classroom and to supporting children in grades R-4. Candidates should have the desire to learn and grow with the Ubuntu School and constantly be learners as well as teachers, alongside the children. The hours are 8-5 pm Monday-Friday and teachers will be afforded 15 days annual leave per annum.
Remuneration: Commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience
- Support lead teachers and teachers to develop and teach engaging, creative curriculum and lessons, aligned with Ubuntu’s expectations and approach
- Lead guided reading groups and support Ubuntu’s approach to literacy instruction
- Collaborate closely with a team of teachers responsible to consistently improve student learning and school culture
- Participate actively in ongoing professional learning, evaluating and reflecting on teaching practices
- Help to build a creative, engaging and supportive learning environment that leads students to value being at the Ubuntu school and feel part of the Ubuntu community
- Inspire trust and confidence among parents and families
- Build on concepts, linking to earlier knowledge-ability to implement an emergent and interdisciplinary curriculum
- Differentiated instruction for students to bring forth their strengths and meet their challenges, allowing for all students to receive focused attention
- Manage classroom, develop a community within the classroom, lead positive behavior management and ensure a nurturing environment
- Be prepared for all classes and take time in the admin and preparation for each class
- Ensure all reporting deadlines are met thoroughly
- Respond to all email and telephone calls within 24 hours
- Respect the confidentiality of students and the school community
- Maintain professional boundaries with parents and students and show consistent professionalism
- Additional responsibilities:
- Assist in the coaching and management of extracurricular activities at least twice a week
- Attend campus meetings, involved in projects, documentation, portfolios, parents’ meetings, conferences, team meetings, etc..
- Respect all Ubuntu policies
- Safeguard all equipment allocated, update inventory or resources for assigned class/ subject/activity and manage assigned budget
- Participate in donor visits
- Student teaching or equivalent experience with children in elementary education -for aides and lower level teachers, interest and passion for working with young children and have been through the Ubuntu JST Program.
- Solid understanding or willingness to adapt to creative progressive collaborative approach
- Deep dedication to learning and developing the craft of teaching
- Dedication to viewing children through their strengths and teaching the whole child
- Proven ability to collaborate with colleagues to achieve goals
- Curiosity and humility, to reflect, welcome feedback, and continually grow in teaching practice
- Teaching Diploma or Undergraduate degree with postgraduate Teaching Diploma
- SACE registered if teacher or lead
- Proven role model skills
- Ability to reflect on practice and take constructive criticism
- Proven time management skills
- Organized, ability to plan and report
- Life long learning a key value
- Able to be approachable to student and parent community, build trust and shows confidentiality
- Communicate accurately and effectively about the school to relevant stakeholders
Application Information & Method:
- Send your CV via Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please do not contact or forward your application directly to Ubuntu Pathways. Make use of the above contact information.
- Make sure that your save your CV under your name AND surname.
- Make sure that you type the name of the job/position that you are applying for the "subject" section of your email.
- Please include an active and current e-mail address which can be used for communication purposes and which you are happy to receive e-mail information on regarding your application.
Please ensure that your CV includes the following information:
- Notice Period at current place of work.
- Salary expectation – per month, basic without benefits.
- Please indicate two referees. Requirements for referees:
- must have acted as a supervisor/manager
- must give permission to act as referee and thus be contacted
- Late applications will not be considered.
- If you are not contacted within thirty (30) days after closing date, you should consider your application to have been unsuccessful.
- Please indicate on your CV whether you have a criminal record, were found guilty of misconduct or have pending criminal or misconduct chargers.
- Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a security and credit clearance check, a competency assessment, signing a performance contract on appointment and signing an employment contract on appointment.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about Ubuntu Pathways, refer to https://ubuntupathways.org/
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to http://www.ngopulse.org/opportunities