Stepping Stones Children's Centre
Stepping Stones Children's Centre is an early childhood development centre in Cape Town that believes every child deserves the highest standard of nurturing, education and care regardless of their circumstances. Each child is encouraged to develop to their full potential, to celebrate differences and to embrace an anti-bias approach from an early age. The Centre caters for about 100 children between the ages of 3 and 6. Currently, the children attend one of four classes, (including grade R) depending on their age, which enables effective care and teaching. A further part of our mission is to share our resources with a number of educare centres in the townships in the greater Cape Town area.The centre is subsidised and offers children two healthy meals and two snacks a day. Those meals are prepared in its kitchen and need to comply with the requirements of child nutrition as set out by the Department of Social Development.
Stepping Stones Children's Centre seeks to appoint a Cook and Kitchen Manager to be based in Cape Town.
Employment Type: full-time position
Start date: 15 February 2020
The purpose of the position will not only be to prepare meals but will be in charge of the management of the kitchen, meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking. The position is central to the well-being of the children and staff and plays a vital role in the day-to-day running of the centre.
- Menu Development within a limited budget but with high nutritious standards
- Preparation of nutritious meals for young children
- Provision of substitute meals for children with special dietary requirements
- Serving meals in dining area/classrooms on time
- Purchase of grocery items needed per month.
- Provide catering refreshments for parent /management meetings and special events
- Bi-annual inventory recording
- Co-ordinate daily attendance sheet of children for prep and cooking of meal
- Compliance with health/hygiene regulations and safe food handling.
- Co-ordinate and maintain cleanliness in the kitchen, food storage cupboards and dining area
- Co-ordinate and ensure regular scheduled times for cleaning of fridge, stove and cooking utensils
- The person who will apply for the position has a minimum of three years of experience in professional cooking, kitchen management and meal preparation.
- The person will have a passion for the professional management of a kitchen environment.
- Experience of cooking for children will be highly advantageous.
- The love for children, patience and kindness are vital attributes working at Stepping Stones.
- What you bring:
- Knowledge of food preparation for young children
- Understanding of food allergies
- Knowledge of safety and health regulations
- Physical endurance to spend hours standing, walking lifting heavy pots/objects/crates
- Basic mathematical skills
- Love to work and communicate with young children
- Ability to work in a team with the kitchen assistant and other staff
- Reception skills
- Good time management skills
- In line with our values and principles of inclusivity
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- First aid certificate will be advantageous
- Compulsory requirements:
- Work experience of a minimum of 3 years as a cook
- A minimum of a school leaving certificate
- A police clearance certificate.
- Safe food handling certificate
What Stepping Stones Children's Centre offer:
- Compliance with the labour law requirements
- A uniform
- Regulated working hours
- A salary based on experience
- Funeral cover and provident fund contribution
Please submit a motivational letter, your CV with three contactable references, your salary expectation and a cover letter to SteppingStonesChildrensCentre@gmail.com.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only applications submitting all the required documents will be considered.
Should you not hear from us by the end of January 2020, consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about Stepping Stones Children's Centre, refer to http://steppingstoneschildrenscentre.org.za/
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies