SOUL CITY INSTITUTE
The Soul City Institute for Social Justice (SCI) is a South African NGO internationally and locally recognized for its innovation and expertise over two decades in Social and Behaviour Change Communication (SBCC). A significant focus of its two decades of experience is on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) and addressing GBV. SCI is world renowned for its pioneering work in harnessing popular culture to bring about social behaviour change and is responsible for the longest running prime time edutainment drama in the world. In alignment with Agenda 2030 (Global Sustainable Development Goals), the SCI vision is to create a just society in which young women and girls and the communities they live in have the health and wellbeing to grow, flourish, and reach their full potential. The SCI is an organization committed to ensuring that young women and girls enjoy full equality, which enables them to access resources and opportunities. It is an organization that promotes a just society and ensures equitable treatment where all people share a common humanity, a respect for human rights, and a fair allocation of resources. SCI is guided by rights to equality within the South African constitution and particularly sections within the South African constitution that guarantees all South Africans the rights to bodily integrity and autonomy. In addition, the SCI seeks to promote enabling provisions for the human rights of women and girls in Maputo Protocol to the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights on the Rights of Women in Africa, the SADC Protocol on Gender and Development, and aligned with Beijing Plus Twenty and Africa Agenda 2063.
Soul City seeks to appoint a dynamic CEO to be based in Johannesburg.
Reports to: Board
The purpose of the position is to lead and direct the organisation towards the achievement of its intersectional feminist social justice strategic objectives.
- Strategy Development
- Collaborate with the Board and the Executive team in driving the strategic vision of the organisation.
- Ensure a long-term view of the organisation’s vision and strategic objectives.
- Ensure a shared understanding of the organisation’s vision and strategic objectives across the organisation.
- Monitor progress towards strategic goals and lead and direct appropriate changes to the implementation and/or the strategic plan.
- Ensure the alignment of organisational performance targets with the strategic areas of focus.
- Stakeholder Management/Advocacy
- Build strategic partnerships with key stakeholders, and ensure stakeholder satisfaction and accountability.
- Maintain a strategic representation of Soul City Institute in all relevant sector forums.
- Efficiently communicate the organisations mission and vision, programme focus and outputs.
- Financial Sustainability and Governance
- Ensure the financial sustainability of the organisation.
- Develop multiple revenue streams to secure the long-term sustainability of Soul City Institute.
- Review and approve strategically informed annual budgets for all Soul City Institute campaigns and programme interventions.
- Monitor actual expenditure against budgets.
- Assume overall responsibility for effective risk, governance and financial management within the organisation.
- Report to the Board on pertinent business and governance matters.
- General Management
- Ensure effective human resource and talent management within the organisation to enable skills development and succession planning.
- Assume overall responsibility for ensuring that operations are standardised and run efficiently and effectively.
- Ensure effective executive management of the organisation.
- Promote a culture within Soul City that fosters a supportive environment for creative learning, synergistic actions, innovation and development of staff.
- A Master’s Degree.
- At least 7 years’ experience in an executive role, managing diverse teams and functions.
- At least 5 years’ experience managing budgets in excess of R50 million per annum.
- Experience in the development sector.
- Excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Passion about issues facing women in South Africa and beyond.
- Able to lead by example and demonstrate credible, visible leadership.
- Able to develop and execute a vision for the organisation alongside the Board and executive management.
- Able to establish and maintain sound relationships with key stakeholders.
- Able to provide the inspiration and direction for team success.
- Able to create an environment conducive to learning and development.
- Able to embrace diversity and ensure fairness.
- Able to focus on optimising own and others’ energy to drive results.
- Able to use analysis, logic, experience, skill and knowledge to solve problems.
- Able to express oneself effectively verbally and in writing.
- Communication skills in other South African languages would be an added advantage.
- Able to demonstrate strong conviction in own judgment and willingness to encourage expression of diverse views.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office - including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Own transport
Peromnes Grade E2
To apply, please forward your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies