The Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office (HE2RO) of the University of the Witwatersrand, based in Johannesburg, South Africa, is an internationally recognized health research group which conducts research and analysis on issues of public health importance, including a strong focus on HIV, TB, and NCDs. HE2RO collaborates with Boston University and other national and international organizations to build the evidence base to improve health policies and programs in South Africa and the region by. For more information visit HE2RO at www.heroza.org.
The Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office (HE2RO) of the University of the Witwatersrand seeks to fill the following position:
HEAD OF OPERATIONS
The Head of Operations must be a dynamic, enthusiastic, and self-motivated individual with excellent organization, communication, and problem-solving skills to provide senior managerial and administrative oversight for the division in all areas, including grant management, finance, HR, IT, facilities, and maintenance.
Key responsibilities for this exciting position include:
- Ensuring organizational effectiveness of finance, HR, IT, facilities and maintenance of the unit
- Managing and overseeing of division budgeting, forecasting, expenditure tracking, accounts payable, payroll, procurement and reporting
- Managing a large portfolio of grants ensuring compliance, reporting and financial deliverables are met timeously
- Providing strategic direction, budgeting proposals and developing oversight for new grant funding opportunities
- Contract management and compliance
- Leading and managing the administrative team in supporting the day to day operations of the division
- Working with all levels of staff to facilitate HR support and management
- Effective participation in senior leadership team, as requested by the division director and other directors
- Managing senior level internal and external stakeholder relationships including Wits Health Consortium and divisions as well as international and local donors and government departments
- Performing other tasks and contribute to organizational management as needed
The Head of Operations must possess and be able to demonstrate:
- At least an Honors or Master’s degree in social science, public health, finance, or business administration
- Minimum 5 years working experience in a health-related research environment at a senior management level
- Minimum 5 years’ experience managing and overseeing grant funded programs (preferably U.S. government grant management experience)
- Advanced skills in MS Office programs, particularly in Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
- Able to set priorities, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, with an outstanding level of attention to detail, and synthesize a broad range of information in a fast paced environment
- Strong management and leadership qualities and interpersonal skills, able to resolve conflicting priorities
- Excellent command of English language (both written and spoken), able to present confidently and prepare reports of highest quality
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- If not a South Africa citizen, eligible for a work permit in South Africa.
The position is based at the HE2RO head office in Johannesburg but may require travel within sub-Saharan Africa and possibly globally.
Overtime/weekend hours will be required from time to time. This is a full-time position.
View the full job description and application instructions on the Vacancies page at www.actionappointments.co.za and email your application by Friday, 27th September 2019 to email@example.com