Afrikagrupperna (Africa Groups of Sweden) has its head office in Sweden and a regional office in Johannesburg. Afrikagrupperna, who’s history stems from the Swedish liberation/anti-apartheid movement, is a funding partner committed to social and economic change in 5 countries (South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia and Angola) in the region. We also support the struggle for a free Western Sahara. Through close partnerships we hope to ensure that voices from the ground are heard in development work. As a solidarity organization we strive to have long and transparent partnerships based on a shared world vision.
Afrikagrupperna seeks to appoint a committed, energetic and capable staff member to implement its communication strategy in the region. Applications are invited for the post of: Regional Communications Officer. As the successful applicant, you will be based in Johannesburg and part of the communication and fundraising teams based in Sweden. You will also be expected to contribute to regional team planning, review and learning processes.
The Regional Communications Officer at Afrikagrupperna will develop, implement and maintain Afrikagrupperna’s participatory communication method (a process driven method building on a collective experience, to guarantee just representation and ownership, where communication is seen as a tool for change) together with selected partner organisations. You will also provide stories and photos for external communication and fundraising. You will furthermore provide partner organisations with information on Afrikagrupperna’s communication and fundraising work as well as relevant news from the European Union and Sweden.
- You must have an academic degree or equivalent experience in communication.
- You must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience of working in Southern Africa with external communication, using photography, journalism, social media, film etc or a minimum of four years without a degree. You should have good reflective practices and a commitment to continuous learning.
- Knowledge from facilitating, cooperating with other organisations, target groups and processing together with these is a requirement.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Southern African context are crucial.
- Experience or equivalent understanding of how to conduct fundraising and experience from working in other counties in the region, namely: Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Angola or Namibia is a strong advantage, as is experience from civil society actors.
- Excellent written and communication skills in English is mandatory.
- A good command of the Portuguese language will be a strong advantage.
You will be required to travel extensively.
For applicants outside South Africa, please note that selection is subject to you being in possession of a valid work permit. Afrikagruppena offers a fixed competitive salary based on its salary scales.
Application. Please read the instructions carefully and note that only correctly written applications are considered.
Your cover letter should consist of the answers of the following questions(and only these questions), in the following order. Question 1-3 only yes/no, question 4-6 by your own answers. Then attach cover letter (1pg) and CV (2pg’s) containing full personal details including work experience, qualifications and three references. Use PDF or Word-format. It is desirable to put both letter and CV into the same file. Closing date 22nd of September 2019.
- Do you have a valid South African work permit, if not South African? (Only answer: yes/no)
- Have you worked in Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Angola or Namibia? (Only answer: yes/no, what countries and during which period.)
- Do you have a minimum of 2 years work experience in the communication field and a communication education or minimum 4 years of work experience in the communications field? (Only answer: yes/no)
- What experience from working with external communication in civil society do you have?
- What experience do you have of facilitation, and cooperating/ working with different stakeholders?
- Give an example of a project that you have conceptualised and implemented and outline the challenges.
If you have not had correspondence within 3 months after the closing date, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
Placement: Johannesburg with extensive travelling in the region and to Sweden.
Recruitment process: If you proceed to the stage of interviews and tests these will be held between 22nd-29th of October.
Type of employment: Full time(35/h per week) permanent contract with 6 month probation period.
Afrikagrupperna’s telephone number: 27 11 403 2336, Dean van Rooy, regional coordinator. Location: Johannesburg.
For questions in regard to the position or the recruitment process please contact Carolina Köhler de Castro, communications manager or Simon Eriksson, HR