JBvN & Associates Pty Ltd
Innovation Fund support to international youth exchange and volunteering for South African youth organisations
In their Agenda 2063, the African Union (AU) Member States have set the goal of providing Africa’s youth with better access to education, training, skills development, employment and economic opportunities as well as leisure and cultural activities.
Educationally sound youth exchange programmes and volunteer services can enable young people to expand their personal horizons and acquire life and employment skills. Furthermore, youth exchanges in the context of education for sustainable development are linked to the goal of promoting social engagement of young people in order to give them the opportunity to participate in sustainable development processes. So far, there are only very few opportunities for young African people to gain experience through mobility programs or exchange programs and voluntary services in Europe or other African countries
In this context, in 2017 the decision has been taken to establish an Innovation Fund with the aim to directly reach young individuals and exchange practitioners in the pilot countries. It shall support ideas and concepts for innovative exchange programs, exchange preparation and follow-up measures, alumni networks and community-based change projects initiated by the alumni. The fund will support projects to directly reach exchange actors on the ground. By implementing a diversity of projects, a source of innovation and learning for best practices which furthermore can prove the impact and necessity of exchange programs on the societal level can be created.
The Innovation Fund managing company GFA invites expression of interest from registered South African youth organisations in order to reach youth international exchange actors on the ground (exchange practitioners, youth, alumni of exchange programs) in order to strengthen their capacities and opportunities, and thereby creating space for new, innovative and inclusive youth exchange approaches.
Purpose of expression of interest
The purpose of this expression of interest is to do a basic mapping of South African youth organisations working in the international youth exchange program, volunteer services and global knowledge exchange sector. An exciting initiative with opportunities for such organisations will be launched early in October 2019. By creating broad spectrum of actors, the new program aims at supporting South African youth organisations with new ideas and approaches from experienced exchange practitioners who will promote youth exchange as multipliers even beyond current exchange projects.
We are looking for South African youth organisations that have experience in or are interested in gaining experience in:
- Supporting youth to share learning experiences in home communities and regions gained in international exchange programs
- Improving of international youth exchange programs through innovative local initiatives to share learnings.
- Enabling international exchange programs for South African alumni to act as multipliers for youth exchange and voluntary services, enabling South African youth organisations operating in this field to build on their own experience and promoting quality youth exchange and voluntary services.
- Promoting innovative and inclusive approaches of youth exchange for skills development, piloting new approaches in South African-European as well as intra-African as well as in-country youth exchange and volunteering.
- Localising youth exchange, supporting innovative community-based change projects within the context of youth exchange and voluntary services, and promoting benefits of exchange programs on the local level.
South African youth organisations registered with the Department of Social Development should lodge their expression of interest by completing the requested information on the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NPO-EOI. by no later than Wednesday 25 September 2019
We do not entertain any requests for information at this stage as this EOI is aimed at mapping the level of interest from youth organisations for this new innovative exchange program.
The launch of the Call for Proposals providing full detailed information on the Innovation Fund program will be launched very early in October 2019 to EOI respondents.