Education development Center (EDC)
EDC, with funding from USAID, is implementing the South Africa School-Based Sexuality and HIV Prevention Education Activity (the Activity), a contract that supports the South African Government to reduce HIV infections in students and teachers by assisting the Department of Basic Education (DBE) to implement high quality, evidence-informed sexuality and HIV prevention education programs.
EDC is a global non-profit organization that designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Working with public sector and private partners, we harness the power of people and systems to improve education, health promotion and care, workforce preparation, communications technologies, and civic engagement. Founded in 1958, EDC’s headquarters are located in Waltham, Massachusetts, USA with additional offices in New York City and Washington, DC, and Bangkok. EDC implements projects in over 35 countries with more than 1,300 employees worldwide.
The Junior Accountant will assist the Senior Accountant in the Accounting & Administration functions. S/he will be responsible for assisting the Senior Accountant in the preparation of the financial reporting on a monthly basis. The Jnr Accountant will ensure that all the correct EDC & USAID policy and procedures are followed. S/he will assist with the smooth implementation of Technical Activities. The person will report to the Director of Financial Management and Operations and will also collaborate with the EDC Home Office Financial Analysts, Project Co-ordinators and the Project Director.
The role requires someone with strong communication skills, impeccable attention to detail and ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites and funders and to work respectfully with EDC Colleagues.
Essential functions include (but are not limited to):
- Support EDC financial management/accounting functions;
- Assist with the preparation of accurate and timely financial reporting;
- Maintenance of files as well as project inventory;
- Assist with the capturing of accounting transactions on Quickbooks
- Ensure compliance and adherence to donor regulations and procedures, including maintenance of internal control and accountability of EDC resources;
- Ensure that all supporting documents according to policy and procedures are in place before submitting it to the EDC home office;
- Assist with audit preparation, collating information and documentation with different stakeholders and contributing towards ensuring that EDC is audit compliant
- Assist with audit queries and findings
- Assist with the yearly audit to ensure that all audit documents are in place before auditors arrive;
- Assist in ensuring that staff advances & staff travels are reconciled, documented & recorded timeously;
- Assist with monthly & technical activity payments on the Banking system;
- Assist with payment of payroll timeously;
- Assist with ensuring all statutory payments (PAYE, UIF, SDL, COIDA, VAT, etc.), as well as all other payments related to payroll are executed in time on a monthly basis;
- Other ad hoc duties require.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Commerce/Accounting
- 5-6 years’ experience in driving financial accounting and management practices within an organisation
- Sound experience in driving audit and compliance, financial reconciliations
- Proficient in Excel, QuickBooks and MS 2000
- Strong analytical and problem solving skill
- Experience with USAID contract funding highly desired;
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of Labor Laws, Tax Laws and Import Laws highly desired
- Successfully led in the input and handling of financial data
- Sound experience in journals consolidation, preparing and reviewing balance sheets
- Experience in maintaining and coordinating the implementation of accounting control procedures
- Solid analytical skills, highly meticulous and deep appreciation for processes and compliance
- Commitment to EDC mission and the objectives of this initiative
Application and contact details:
The competitive salary and currency will follow EDC’s policies for South Africa.
This is not a posted position and no relocation will be provided.
Candidates must be eligible to work in South Africa. Interested qualified candidates who are eligible to work in South Africa are requested to submit their CV and cover letter to email@example.com by 16 August 2019.
To ensure the timely review of your credentials, please insert “Junior Accountant” in the subject line of the email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, and competitive remuneration.