International Organization for Migration (IOM)
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a dynamic and growing inter-governmental organization, with 151 member states, committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society.
IOM seeks to appoint a Operations Assistant (Movements) to be based in Pretoria.
Remuneration: G5 (UN Salary Scale for General Staff)
Appointment Type: Fixed Term Contract, with the possibility of extension
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reports to: Operations Officer
- Coordinate, schedule and book travel for individuals upon receipt of travel-ready status and/or request in accordance with travel requirements, including but not limited to the distribution of Advance Booking Notifications (ABNs), updates, domestic flights, cancellations and departure notifications.
- Organize and complete all bookings in a timely manner and in accordance with the Handbook of IOM Tariffs (HIT) and standard operating procedures (SOPs) from the Division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM). Under the supervision of the National Operations Officer. Distribute travel information to internal and external stakeholders.
- Compile and analyse descriptive statistics, using I-GATOR to capture costs and prepare travel loan paperwork as specified in SOPs and in accordance with host government’s procedures.
- Create movement data files, by ABN, for all individuals in accordance with SOPs and for IOM accountability.
- In accordance with local practices and RMM guidelines and standards, and in close coordination with supervisors, identify and assign escorts to accompany vulnerable individuals.
- In coordination with National Operations Officer, process exit permission paperwork and ICRC Travel Documents in accordance with established standards and the local guidelines.
- Conduct identity and document verification prior to the distribution of travel documentation to refugees, immigrants and migrants.
- Conduct pre-departure counselling on pre-embarkation procedures and special needs during travel (such as meals, medication, wheelchairs and medical conditions) as needed. Identify beneficiary vulnerabilities and coordinate appropriate action to ensure they are addressed.
- Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the National Operations Officer and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of relevant Movement Operations SOPs and Movements-related systems and databases (including iGATOR, MiMOSA, SAR and Amadeus), as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial and unbiased during all interactions with migrants and colleagues per the IOM Code of Conduct and instruction on the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA.)
- Maintain and ensure the confidentiality and integrity of all relevant paperwork in line with standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert National Operations Officer or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- High school diploma in Social science, Business Administration, Business Management or related field of study with five years of experience or
- University Degree in the aforementioned field of study with three years of relevant professional experience
- Certificate in IATA/UFTAA, or airline on-the-job experience in reservations, fares and ticketing is desirable
- Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience a strong advantage
- Movement Operations-related databases and systems (including iGATOR, MiMOSA, SAR and Amadeus) is a strong advantage.
- Advanced level use of CRS (Amadeus or Galileo)
- Experience in working closely with travel agencies
- Work experience with international organizations will be advantageous
- Strong computer skills - Word, Excel and Internet
- Required Thorough knowledge of English
- Advantageous Working knowledge of French an advantage
- The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency permits or visa requirements, and security clearances.
If you are qualified for this position, please email the following to email@example.com under the REFERENCE: VNSA2019/07 in the subject line of your email:
- A cover letter motivating your application
- Detailed CV
- Copy of ID
- IOM Personnel History form which you will find on http://southafrica.iom.int in the VACANCIES section
Kindly quote the REFERENCE- VNSA2019/07 in the subject line of your application. We will not be able to track your applications without the reference code provided. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Enquiries in respect to the job description and application may be directed to the same email address.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
For more about IOM, refer to https://southafrica.iom.int/about-iom-south-africa
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies