South African National AIDS Council
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR THE APPOINTMENT OF A SERVICE PROVIDER FOR THE ASSESSMENT OF SHE CONQUERS - THE NATIONAL HIV PREVENTION CAMPAIGN FOR YOUNG WOMEN AND GIRLS
High HIV incidence in young women and girls is compounded by high levels of teenage pregnancy, school dropout, and gender based violence, and occurs in a context where there are limited economic opportunities for young people.
In response to this, the South African government led the National HIV Prevention Campaign for Young Women and Girls, the She Conquers Campaign.The Campaign was launched in June 2016 for a period of three years. The campaign that aimed to improve the lives of adolescent girls and young women by intensifying efforts to reduce HIV incidence.
1. Purpose of the assignment
This assessment will test the hypothesis that She Conquers decreased HIV incidence by 30% over three years and test whether the campaign approach was successfully implemented to facilitate the reduction of new infections. The assessment will provide the insights required to make a recommendation on the extension and updating of the She Conquers campaign.
1.1. Campaign Assessment Objectives
The primary objective of the assessment is to determine the reduction in new HIV infection amongst AGYW from 2016-2019.
The secondary objectives are as follows:
- To determine whether key outcomes and targets of the campaign were achieved from 2016-2019
- To measure exposure to - and participation in - the She Conquers campaign by AGYW
- To determine the geographic coverage of the She Conquers Campaign over the three years
- To assess the She Conquers communication strategy and implementation plan and its reach
- To explore the extent to which the She Conquers campaign and its objectives were accepted and supported by national and sub-national stakeholders
- To document lessons learnt from the implementation of the She Conquers Campaign and develop recommendations for future AGYW programmes and campaigns – in terms of cost-effectiveness, coordination and governance and sustainability, amongst others.
- To understand the sustainability of the She Conquers campaign element.
2. Scope of Work
- Hold Inception Meeting with SANAC and the She Conquers Campaign Reference Group to conduct a review of key relevant documents and understanding the She Conquers campaign design and contextual framework
- Develop detailed inception report and design tools and methodology projection for data collection of literature / desk review, qualitative and quantitative data
- Use existing studies and documents to undertake a Desktop Review, to gain a deeper understanding of the She Conquers campaign strategies and communication materials including IEC materials’ strengths and weaknesses; describe and assess the effectiveness of the Campaign; and determine and document the extent to which the intended outcomes have been achieved.
- Determine stakeholders’ perceptions of the effectiveness of the She Conquers campaign implementation and intervention process, using qualitative and quantitative methods
- Assess the means allocated for She Conquers campaign implementation of the activities such as financial and time resources, personnel, facilities, equipment and supplies, in achieving the campaign objectives.
- Suggest possible strategies / recommendations for addressing the weaknesses of the She Conquer campaign implementation and intervention processes.
A. Assignment Timelines
- The level of effort expected is 40 consultancy days from 20 July 2019 – 20 September 2019
- Direct costs for travel and workshops should be included in the budget.
B. Quotations to be sent to Beullah@sanac.org.za 22 July 2019 at 17h00.