Chemonics International, an international development firm, seeks Operations and Finance Director for the USAID/Combating Wildlife Crime in Southern Africa Activity. This four-year program aims to support the shared commitments of the U.S. Government (USG), the Southern Africa Development Community (SADC), member states, private sector partners, and civil society to dramatically decrease wildlife crime across Southern Africa. The purpose of the Activity is to coordinate learning and support strategic regional activities to address wildlife crime challenges. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world. This position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa.
The Operations and Finance Director will contribute to the execution of the overall program strategy by supporting the Chief of Party to ensure the timeliness and quality of contract implementation. The Operations and Finance Director will implement and strengthen the program’s management systems, ensuring sustainability of operations, procurement and finance throughout the life of project. The Operations and Finance Director will provide active leadership and oversight of the operations, procurement and finance teams, building capacity of the operations team in contractual compliance, financial systems, procurement logistics, and understanding of and adherence to U.S. government regulations and Chemonics’ corporate and field office policies.
I. Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide direct oversight of administrative and finance staff and build team capacity in adhering to USAID and Chemonics policies and regulations
- Ensure timely and effective approvals processes, budget review and management, client communications, calendar and event management, regional travel management, and report submission
- Ensure planned program activities are implemented successfully and according to schedule
- Establish proper procedures, trackers, and filing systems for procurements, recruitment/hiring, performance management, subcontracts/vendors and maintain proper implementation of operational systems
- Apprise the project management unit (PMU) on all pertinent procurement, financial and operational matters on a regular basis
- Other duties as assigned by the chief of party
- Review all expenditures and transactions against supporting documents from procurement, grants and subcontracts departments, ensuring appropriate back-up documentation is submitted in accordance with Chemonics procurement and financial policies
- Oversee the accounting and financial records of local expenses
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll for local staff
- Maintain and control the project field cash position, including but not limited to requesting accurate and appropriate wire transfer requests and ensuring that local bank accounts are reconciled and balanced on a monthly basis
- Closely monitor and maintain low accounts receivables and payables balances
- Oversee field office project finances and budget reporting, and support senior management and the PMU with estimates of monthly, quarterly and annual expenditures, including through supporting and communicating budgets of activities included in the work plan
- Ensure VAT claims and other in-country national reports and requirements are processed timeously and according to local and USAID regulations and maintain accurate reimbursement or response files
- Maintain transparent, detailed, comprehensive and audit-proof record keeping systems per Chemonics’ policies, including for all project expenditures
Personnel and Human Resources
- Ensure compliance with South Africa and Chemonics human resource practices and adherence to field office policy manual
- Confirm all personnel files are complete and compliant with Chemonics’ policies, local labor laws, and USAID regulations
- Assist with the recruitment process, on-boarding and orientation of project staff, including development of scopes of work and employment contracts
- Provide periodic business conduct and ethics trainings, including Chemonics’ Living our Values training
- Promote and support staff continuous development and timely feedback and performance reviews
- Manage all annual performance management and incidental performance management procedures and requirements as necessary
- Oversee and ensure proper implementation of project procurement and logistics system, ensuring segregation of duties within procurement procedures
- Oversee management of the physical office, as well as procurement of all office equipment, supplies and services
- Work with operations staff to ensure international and local travel is properly procured and effectively managed
- Ensure RFQs, travel authorization and advance requests, purchase requests, purchase orders, and subcontracts are drafted, executed and implemented according to Chemonics’ policies
- Oversee timely management of agreements with landlord, vendors, and subcontractors
- Supervise staff to ensure inventory management and tracking of all project equipment and vehicles is maintained/updated
- Ensure security procedures are followed and updates circulated to relevant staff
- Oversee Safety and Security Focal Point (SSFP) and work with SSFP to draft contingency plans, the emergency action plan, telephone tree and emergency contact list
- Train staff on satellite phone and other communication devices and conduct emergency drills
- Advanced degree in relevant discipline desired
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing USAID contracts, including strong skills in procurement/subcontracting, compliance, financial management, human resources, and client management
- Demonstrated ability to manage and implement the financial and operational aspects of complex USAID-funded programs or projects
- Knowledge of South Africa operating environment, including registration, taxes, and labor law
- Experience recruiting, forming, and successfully managing teams
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity, with strong interpersonal skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
III. Duty Station
The employee will be based in Pretoria, South Africa.
IV. Length of Assignment
This is a long-term position for the life of the project.
Apply online https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/59cf12af31db448fb5b702b7bd58a7d5 by 23 July 2019. This recruit is being conducted on a rolling basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.