Institute for Security Studies
The Institute for Security Studies is a leading African organisation that enhances human security to enable sustainable development and economic prosperity in Africa. It works across the continent, doing authoritative research, providing expert policy advice and delivering practical training and technical assistance.
The ISS seeks to appoint a Programme Officer for the Justice and Violence Prevention Programme to be based in Pretoria.
Report to: The Programme Head
A competitive salary is offered.
The length of the contract will be two and a half years and may be renewed subject to programme requirements, funding and satisfactory performance.
The purpose of the position is to provide financial and administrative services to the Justice and Violence Prevention (JVP) programme. The officer will support the Programme Head and Project Manager in all activities as per the ISS’s policies and procedures. A key function of this position is liaison and coordination with external stakeholders including programme partners and donors.
- Assist in the design and implementation of programme and project administration systems and procedures in line with ISS policy
- Financial administration of programme and project budgets, including preparation, monitoring of expenditure, cash-flow forecasts, monitoring of exchange rates, approvals and preparation of financial reports
- Plan, prepare and execute all logistical arrangements relating to programme activities including event coordination, travel arrangements, monitoring and evaluation, and support to programme staff, interns and consultants
- Create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with ISS colleagues as well as external partners, senior government officials, donors and other partners
- Prepare consolidated narrative and financial reports for internal and external reporting
- General programme organisation and administration, minute-taking, accurate record keeping, and responding to emails on behalf of the programme
- BComm degree or equivalent, or a diploma in business or financial administration
- A qualification in project management will be advantageous
- Minimum of five years’ experience as a project/programme administrator or coordinator
- Minimum of eight years’ experience as an executive administrative level
- Experience working with external partners, including senior government officials, donors and other partners
- Knowledge of the ISS and areas covered by the programme
- Knowledge and understanding of results-based management and reporting
- Understanding of programme and financial administration
- Experience in grants management and reporting will be desirable
- Superior project management and coordination skills
- Skills in planning and organising events
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong financial skills relating to budgeting, expenditure monitoring and reporting
- Skilled in Microsoft packages including Microsoft Office (Word, Advanced Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet)
- Must have emotional intelligence, verbal and written communications skills, and be able to quickly and effectively problem-solve
To apply, submit a cover letter and detailed CV, including at least three contactable referees to Rekha Valabh at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more about the Institute for Security Studies, refer to www.issafrica.org
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies