Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS)
The Institute of Health Programs and Systems (IHPS) is a South African non-profit company (NPC) born out of the PEPFAR CDC Track 1 transition of the ICAP, Columbia University, Multi-country AIDS Program (MCAP) in South Africa in 2010. The IHPS mission is “to strengthen health and development systems through program implementation and partnerships” and the vision is “optimal and sustainable health and development outcomes”. Presently, IHPS is a Global Fund Subrecipient (SR) under Beyond Zero (BZ), tasked to implement the “Prevention programs for adolescents and youths, in and out of school” with a specific focus on adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) in the Dihlabeng and Setsoto Subdistricts, Thabo Mofutsanyana District in Free State Province and Fetakgomo-Greater Tubatse Subdistrict, Sekhukhune District in Limpopo Province from April 2019 – March 2022. As such, IHPS seeks to recruit for the position outlined below, based in the Dihlabeng and Setsoto Subdistricts OR Fetakgomo-Greater Tubatse Subdistrict. Closing date: 11th July 2019.
Overall Job Function
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the M&E Officer: AGYW will lead the overall implementation of AGYW program M&E activities within the Mbombela Subdistrict. The M&E Officer will provide the overall leadership and management of all district program performance reporting, M&E working closely with the AGYW program teams. The incumbent will work closely with all the AGYW program coordinators to ensure that appropriate and quality services delivered are captured, validated and reported in line with Global Fund (GF) reporting requirements. S/he will ensure that the M&E systems and data management processes are adequately implemented to ensure accurate, quality and timely reporting of AGYW service delivery.
- Lead the overall development, planning, implementation and coordination of M&E activities at district level to track program performance against set objectives;
- Oversee overall data collection, data validation and data reporting by all teams implementing AGYW program in the Subdistrict;
- Establish and manage relationships with key stakeholders i.e. government departments, schools, community leadership and all other relevant stakeholders;
- Advocate for the implementation of the biometric data collection system amongst the various stakeholders and government departments;
- Ensure the AGYW program reporting is aligned with the relevant government information management systems to allow for data sharing and reporting;
- Working with the data collection team, ensure all program related data is collected, validated, reported and utilised accurately and timeously to inform and guide evidence-based program planning and implementation;
- Assess and build the capacity of the AGYW program team to use the biometric data management system as applicable through continuous training, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision as appropriate;
- Plan and lead routine program review meetings, on-site data verification and routine data quality assessment (DQA) activities;
- Lead and facilitate GF related program evaluations, in collaboration with the IHPS strategic information (SI) unit at IHPS head office;
- Document lessons learnt and develop case studies using qualitative data collection and analysis techniques;
- Represent the IHPS AGYW program in all M&E relevant platforms as and when required;
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Program Manager and the IHPS senior management team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Good writing skills. Command of local languages would be an added advantage;
- Experience in program M&E i.e. development, work planning and implementation of robust M&E systems, procedures and policies;
- Experience in managing and building M&E capacity (i.e. training, mentoring, coaching and supportive supervision) of field-based data management teams;
- Ability to take initiatives, work under pressure and multitask with minimum supervision;
- A team player with good interpersonal skills;
- Sound problem-solving and decision-making skills; effective time management and coordination skills and highly meticulous with attention to detail;
- Competent in Microsoft Office suite and other data analytics software (quantitative & qualitative);
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive;
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in M&E, Information Management, Social Sciences or Statistics
- At least 5-10 years’ experience in HIV and AIDS programming, with a specific focus on M&E;
- Demonstrated experience in data management and reporting systems including tool development, data capturing, analysis and report writing. Experience of working in Global Fund, PEPFAR or other AGYW projects would be an added advantage;
- In-depth understanding of government social development, health and basic education’s M&E systems; Mpumalanga Province-specific experience would be advantageous.
- Regular travel to AGYW implementation sites during the project implementation period.
This position description may not list all the duties of the job. If an offer is made, you will be presented with a detailed job description. Applicants will be evaluated based upon their demonstrated ability to perform the tasks listed above, their education and work experience. The employer reserves the right to revise this posting at any time.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by e-mail only to HR@ihps-sa.org. Subject line should be the position and subdistrict you are applying for, and a cover letter and resume or curriculum vitae (CV) should be attached. Submissions which do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.
Due to the extremely high volume of CVs expected, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS in reference to these positions will be accepted.
CLOSING DATE: 11th July 2019