VVOB South Africa
The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) is a non-profit organization which contributes to the improvement of the quality of education in 8 countries around the world.
The current VVOB country programme, 2017 – 2021, is addressing school leadership and teaching for diversity to improve the quality of teaching and learning for all children. Partners are DBE, SACE, and the provincial departments of education of Free State and KwaZulu Natal.
VVOB is looking for a Programme advisor to join the existing team in Durban (Dokkies).
The Programme Advisor is an experienced individual with sound project management, technical assistance and capacity development background with affinity for diversity in learning/inclusive education in the broad sense and expertise in teacher development and or educational leadership. S/he is responsible for the timely implementation of the provincial and district related activities under the programme and related projects. S/he will support the Programme Coordinator in planning, monitoring and evaluation, and for the budget management, procurement, administration and logistics of the provincial and district related activities. S/he will be liaison for the stakeholders at provincial and district level. S/he reports to the Programme Coordinator and Programme Manager.
- Timely implementation of the programme (this includes planning, developing and facilitating educational capacity development interventions) including supporting the preparation of programme reports and documents as per donor’s requirement.
- To support the Programme Coordinator and project / programme team with planning, monitoring and evaluation for the VVOB programme;
- To assist the coordinator in budget management, procurement and take responsibility for administration and logistics, for provincial and district related activities of the programme in consultation with the Programme Coordinator (and PM, and Financial staff);
- To implement and follow up the financial, technical and institutional capacity development (CD) strategies and CD methods for provincial and district related activities in consultation with Programme Coordinator (and PM, team and partners);
- To build and maintain sustainable partnerships with partners and relevant stakeholders
- To ensure effective and efficient use of resources
- To contribute to internal and external knowledge development by systemizing lessons learned and pro-actively sharing lessons learned between partners and VVOB team
- To guarantee the coherence with the programme and VVOB’s approach to sustainable capacity development and technical assistance
To keep abreast of developments in inclusive education and international development.
- South African national, based in Durban or willing to relocate (at own cost);
- An advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) preferably in education, social sciences or other relevant field.
- experience and expertise in education leadership and/or teacher development
- experience/expertise in addressing learner diversity (in education leadership and/or teaching) is a definite advantage
- Demonstrated working experience in a similar position preferably within (international) development cooperation (at least 5 years)
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Strong communication and drafting skills, with the ability to convey varied and complex information to a range of audiences.
- Preferably experience with capacity development of government agencies and / or public sector staff, preferably in the education sector.
- Preferably knowledgeable about gender issues (in education)
- Desirably knowledge of environmental issues.
- Self-starter, willing to work additional hours when required and regularly travel
- Good reporting skills, ICT proficient (Word, Excel and Power Point), fluent written and oral command of English.
Result oriented, cooperation, continuous learning and improving, 360° empathy, strong communication skills (listening, speaking and writing), creativity, reliability, development-oriented coaching, analytical thinking and conceptual thinking
VVOB expects the person to start as soon as possible (e.g. on or before August 15, 2019) and offers a good remuneration and a contract for a period not exceeding the programme period (12/2021) with possibility for extension.
The Programme Advisor is supervised by the Programme Coordinator and the Programme Manager based in Pretoria.
How to apply
Send your application by email to Wilfried Theunis (Wilfried.email@example.com). Deadline for applications is Sunday July 14, 2019, 5 pm.
Please indicate clearly the position.
Include your 1. CV (including id number, telephone number and email address of 3 references), 2. A motivation letter. In your motivation letter clearly indicate how/why you fit the profile of this advertisement, i.e. address each requirement of the profile and elaborate on how you fit that requirement. Max. 2 pages.
Please note, applications with no motivation letter attached cannot be considered.
Please note: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about VVOB South Africa please visit their website: southafrica.vvob.org/
VVOB is committed to providing equal opportunities and practising affirmative action employment.