Hlanganisa Institute for Development in Southern Africa
Hlanganisa Institute for Development in Southern Africa (HiDSA) invites eligible organisations to apply for funding to advance social justice work in South Africa.
Hlanganisa is an intermediary grant-maker whose work is aimed at strengthening social accountability, promoting human rights in pursuit of social justice in Southern Africa.
Hlanganisa believes in partnering communities for sustainable change. Its work is anchored on three main pillars, grant-making, capacity building and strengthening advocacy efforts.
The Multi-Agency Grants Initiative (MAGI) is a collaborative donor initiative which was established in 2006 to provide funding and capacity building support to Community Based Organisations (CBOs) located in disadvantaged areas within South Africa with high levels of poverty. MAGI’s vision is of a South Africa in which CBOs are able to meet the needs of their members and contribute to building a society characterised by equality, fairness, dignity and justice, in which the state and the private sector meet their social obligations and inequality is incrementally addressed.
Hlanganisa invites applications for funding from community-based organisations that align to the following objectives and meet the criteria outlined below:
- Contribute towards strengthening the active voice and agency of local communities, and in the process strengthen democracy
- Contribute to social change by participating actively in local and national processes
- Improve access to justice for marginalised groups
- Build and strengthen social cohesion at a local level
- Contribute to the creation of an enabling environment for local economic development to take place and improve access to services in the community
Interested organisations should go to www.hlanganisa.org.za. for detailed instructions on developing a proposal. Hlanganisa will not accept any proposal from organisations that do not meet the following criteria:
- Groups applying for funding must be formally constituted or in the process of formalising as a Non-Profit Organisation with a functioning governance structure
- Able to demonstrate that joint activities have taken place using a collaborative or partnership approach
- Community support or contribution to the programme either through time, materials or financially
- The benefit to the community must be clearly defined
- The role that women play must be clearly shown, both in terms of how they participate in leadership and decision making and in how they benefit and are empowered
- Organisations must be rooted in the community
- Programmes that address inequality, build community and deepen democracy through active citizenship will be considered for support
- Programmes aligned to the thematic areas of the Fund viz. social cohesion, access to justice and access to services and local economic development
- Activities must demonstrate measurable results/outcomes
- Record keeping and financial systems in place
*NB: In cases where a CBO is unable to manage the grant, MAGI may provide funding support through a more established NGO that has a verifiable existing relationship with the CBO.
Grant sizes: R50 000 – R100 000 (12 to 18 months)
Please click here to apply or scan the QR code above to your mobile phone:
Please ensure that all sections of the application form are completed. For further information please visit HiDSA website (www.hlanganisa.org.za). Alternatively, the application form can be downloaded here.
Applications should reach HIDSA offices no later than 7 June 2019 at 4pm. No late applications will be accepted.
Email to: email@example.com.
Post to 3rd Floor, Building 9, St David’s Place, Parktown, 2193 OR Postnet Suite 365, Private Bag X 30500, Houghton, 2041.
Fax: 086 538 6638
HiDSA reserves the right to:
- Decline to consider any proposal that do not conform to any aspects of the proposal requirements
- Cancel this proposal or any part thereof at anytime