International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC or “the Federation”)
|Job Title||Programs Officer|
|Organizational Unit / Duty Station
(Department / Zone Office / Delegation..... etc)
|Programs Department, Southern Africa, Cluster Office Pretoria|
|Immediate Supervisor’s Title||Operations Manager, Southern Africa|
|Technical Manager’s Title
|Head of Country Cluster, Pretoria|
|2nd line Manager|
|Supervise along technical lines|
|Number of Direct Reports
|Duration of Assignment||12 months with possible extension|
Organizational context (where the job is located in the Organization)
The International Federation and Red Crescent Societies of the Red Cross (IFRC) ‘s Southern Africa Country Cluster office is in Pretoria , South Africa and serves ten countries, namely Angola, Botswana, E-Swatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
To strengthen its presence and ensure better integration and effective support to its members, National Societies, the research and the development of resources is an essential pillar of the IFRC’s approach.
This JD summarizes the tasks related to the position of Programs Officer.
Under the supervision of the IFRC Southern Africa Operations Manager, provide support in the management of Resilience, Food Security and Livelihoods and Nutrition activities with the National Societies. He/She will work in building national, regional and institutional (including secretariat) capacities to enabling them to collect, analyse food security and nutrition data and make recommendations on relevant actions. The incumbent will also be responsible for collect data from stakeholders from and outside the Red Cross to inform the analysis of trends in the region and sharing of best practices.
He/She assures ongoing collaboration with all relevant partners in the region in the field of food security and nutrition and will also work on the further development of these relationships. He/She contributes to the quality improvement of the programme programs of NS throughout the region.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Support National Societies in providing technical advice on Resilience, Food Security and Livelihoods and Nutrition analysis and programming.
- Analyse and report on the food security and nutrition trends and provide clear and detailed analysis and recommendations to the FNSWG stakeholders.
- Co-chair and organise FSNWG meetings in collaboration with FAO focal person on monthly basis and keep proper records of the meetings.
- Together with the FSNWG co-chair to contribute to report FSNWG outcomes to RIASCO on monthly basis.
- To coordinate and compile the information for FSWNG bulletin or any other FSNWG publication or document.
- Support National Societies to collect, analyse, monitor and report food security data, case studies for wider sharing with relevant stakeholders.
- Work closely with Red Cross Movement partners in the Cluster to ensure integrated Resilience, Livelihoods and Food Security analysis, programming and reporting.
- Support the development of appropriate targeting criteria and mechanisms to ensure the needs of identified vulnerable groups are met.
- Plan and implement food security and livelihood activities such as:
- Assessments and surveillance interventions
- Cash based interventions – market monitoring
- Food aid interventions
- Research innovative interventions to fight hunger
- Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations;
- Ensure monitoring of IFRC resilience, food security and livelihood projects (field visit, regular program monitoring, budget forecast and planning, donors reports, monthly reports, etc.).
- Organize and facilitate training sessions for National Society technical staff and volunteers in various areas of resilience, food security and livelihoods.
- Liaise with local authorities, research institutes, partner organizations, NGOs, government bodies.
- Coordinate with other technical departments (health, water and sanitation) to ensure integration of relevant aspects
- Increase co-ordination mechanisms, sharing knowledge and best practices with co-operating Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies acting bilaterally in the region.
- Liaise with international humanitarian agencies and organisations when appropriate and participate in Inter Agency coordination and other NGO meetings.
- Ensure all aspects of community resilience programming are managed and implemented in accordance with Federation’s strategic programme framework, signatory codes of conduct and agreed standards including Red Cross Red Crescent Code of Conduct, Sphere Standards and Humanitarian Accountability Partnership.
- Assist the NS to develop high quality projects by identifying potential funding sources taking in account NS priorities and writing proposals for such.
- Analyse training needs for NS and assure support for the NS through trainings on relevant areas.
Duties applicable to all staff
|1.||Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals|
|2.||Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles|
|3.||Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager|
|Advanced university degree in disciplines relevant to food security and nutrition
|Professional training in food security analysis and mapping|
|Experience of working for the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement||X|
|Five years of relevant experience in the field of food security and nutrition and food security governance||X|
|Experience in carrying out food security analysis
|At least 2 years of working for a humanitarian aid organisation||X|
|Strong and highly developed technical skills in food security and nutrition international practices||X|
|Self-supporting in computers (word processing, spreadsheets, internet and web-based searching etc.)||X|
|Solid and tested analytical skills||X|
|Operational management and reporting skills||X|
|Excellent communication, interpersonal and networking skills||X|
|Fluently spoken and written English||X|
|Competencies (to be filled in by HR)|
|National Society Relations|
|Integrity and personal conduct|
|Communication Managerial effectiveness|
|Initiative and direction|
|Flexibility, Patience and adaptability-sensitivity to diversity|
TO APPLY : Candidates can send their application on email@example.com or Hand deliver:
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
No 5 Bauhinia Street| Unit 11, Highveld Technopark, Centurion, South Africa
For any enquiry they can contact Francinah on : + 27 12 880 1215