The Ford Foundation - South Africa
The FORD FOUNDATION is an independent, nonprofit grant-making organization. For more than 75 years it has worked with visionary people on the frontlines of social change worldwide, guided by its mission to strengthen democratic values, reduce poverty and injustice, promote international cooperation, and advance human achievement. With headquarters in New York, the foundation has ten regional offices in Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, and Asia.
Based in Johannesburg, The Ford Foundation seeks to fill the following vacancy:
The Program Assistant
The Program Assistant provides key support to three Program Officers who serve as grant-makers for the Foundation, and manages various activities for the Program Officers including interfacing with key stakeholders on behalf of the program officers. The Program Assistant also takes a lead role in organizing grantee convenings and helps to manage the various workflows and scheduling needs of the program team more generally. The role will also involve communicating information for disseminating or sharing both internally and externally related to the work of the program team.
Key performance areas for this position include but are not limited to:
- Managing multiple calendars, appointments, and group meetings for the program team
- Supporting document management and storage in institutional document repositories
- Being the first point of contact for grantees requiring assistance in the absence of the Program Manager and relevant Program Officers.
- Assisting with logistics in terms of grantee-related matters, such as, maintaining contact information, planning and coordination of logistics for site visits and grantee meetings
- Assisting with the preparation of talking points, power point, audio visual presentations and other materials for program staff
- Packaging materials developed by program team into simple and digestible formats, and use latest technologies to make it visually appealing and easily understandable for wide-ranging audiences internally and externally
- Supporting the Administrative/Operations Assistant in relation to travel involving Program Officers and grantees attending Foundation-related events
- Supporting and acting as a back-up to the Administrative/Operations Assistant in relation to travel expense reports during and after a trip has been completed by program officers as required
The Program Assistant must meet the following criteria:
- 1-2 years of office experience or equivalent internship experience
- Baccalaureate degree or undergraduate level experience
- Strong commitment to promoting social justice
- Detailed knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in the use of office computer applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook; technology certification (such as Microsoft Office Specialist) or equivalent experience
- Ability to use communications tools to design easy-to-use materials like infographics, powerpoint presentations, and related documents
- Demonstrated proficiency in utilizing on-line information resources and data tools for information retrieval and data entry
- Capacity to undertake Internet-based research
- Effective oral and written communications skills and the ability to handle communications tactfully and professionally with a high attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize work assignments, handle multiple tasks and function independently
- Ability to work in diverse teams with shared responsibility and accountability
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at The Ford Foundation, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.