Environmental Monitoring Group
The Environmental Monitoring Group is an independent NGO established in 1991 and working to promote the effective participation of civil society in environmental policy and practice so as to contribute to achieving greater social and environmental justice in South African society and globally.
EMG seeks to appoint a Researcher to be based in Cape Town.
Start date: June 2019 or sooner
This is a part-time position.
- Suitable qualification and/ or experience of research in the nonprofit sector
- Proven track-record in the action-research field
- A passion for environmental and social justice
- Sound understanding of SA’s socio-environmental context and environmental policy and the role
- and challenges of civil society
- Essential knowledge and skills
- Understanding of the methodologies and relative utility of qualitative and quantitative research
- Understanding of and experience with using Participatory Action Research and/or Social Learning
- Command of English (spoken and written), including scientific writing skills in English
- Command (spoken and written) of at least one other local language
- Ability to review current and past research relating to fields of knowledge that are pertinent to
- EMG’s partners, to extract key findings and trends from such research, and to identify topics for
- future research undertakings
- Ability to frame, undertake and complete research projects (including drafting research proposals
- and compiling research reports)
- Ability to co-design and co-implement Participatory Action Research projects and processes with
- colleagues and community-based partners that address the knowledge needs of the participants in non-exploitative ways
- Ability to provide support for community-based co-researchers with mentorship and other forms of professional support
- Ability to present key findings from complex research projects
- Ability to communicate effectively on behalf of the organisation (to the media, government and the public)
- Ability to effectively communicate climate change issues in local languages other than English and have a good knowledge of the content of EMG’s current local and global work and it links to international environmental agreements. Knowledge of the SA NGO sector and water, climate change and environmental justice linkages will also be advantageous
- linked into networks in the environmental and related sectors
- politically astute but not ideologically dogmatic
- self-motivated and able to self-manage effectively
- Ability to work well in a loosely structured team environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from EMG, partner organisations and community based partners
- Must be emotionally stable and mature
- Be committed to a non-racial and gender-equitable society
- Be a South African citizen (or hold a valid work permit) and be able to travel and work afterhours and on weekends from time-to-time
To apply, submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A motivation letter addressed to the Director, EMG
- A short CV (max four pages)
- An indication of your expected salary
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
EMG is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse staff profile that reflects the diversity of our country.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EMG reserves the right not to make an appointment.
EMG reserves the right to withdraw this call for whatever reason.
For more about the Environmental Monitoring Group, refer to www.emg.org.za
For more information on the position, go to www.emg.org.za/about/vacancies