SouthSouthNorth is a nonprofit organisation working on projects that promote sustainable development and address climate change.
SSN seeks to appoint a Communications Assistant for CDKN, to be based in Cape Town.
Remuneration: R20 000
Duration: Two year fixed-term contract
Start date: 1 July 2019
The purpose of the position is to work with the project team including the Communications Coordinator, the Knowledge and Networks Coordinator and the Technical KM Advisor and Managing Editor of the CDKN website. Share information and engage with SSN's Knowledge Management Hub on a regular basis.
Internal/cross-regional collaboration and learning
- Support the Communications Coordinator to gather content and send out a monthly internal newsletter to the wider CDKN team
- Update the CDKN Google Drive with key documents and outputs
- Share information and engage with SSN’s Knowledge Management hub on a regular basis in order to contribute to SSN’s KM efforts. This may involve producing blogs and updates to SSN’s website, providing updates for the SSN internal newsletter, and contributing to building SSN’s communications systems
- Upload and update approved content on the CDKN website
- Support digital dissemination of project material to key climate and development online knowledge portals
- Help to track and record all dissemination activities and evidence of impact
- Search for images for use in publications and on the website and manage the project’s photograph archive
- Support the execution of webinars (approx. one every three months)
- Assist in cleaning up CDKN’s Mailchimp database, removing unsubscribed contacts to comply with GDPR laws
Global and regional outreach and engagement
- Update CDKN’s events tracker on a weekly basis by searching for global events online and communicating with the other regional teams to make sure the tracker is up-to-date
- Arranging display stands and printed materials for global and regional events
- Helping to arrange regional and global events
- Support in managing and growing CDKN’s media database
- Assist the Communications Coordinator in terms of all media-related work, including pitching stories to the media, writing media releases, etc
Design, photography and video
- Assist with simple design and layout of brochures, documents, invitations, infographics, etc
- Photograph and video events and ‘talking heads’ interviews
- Prepare power point presentations and graphics
Monitoring and other tasks
- Help the Communications Coordinator to monitor and track all communications, including using google analytics, social media etc
- Assist with conducting annual user and expert surveys for publications
- Undertake general tasks as may be delegated from time to time which may not appear in this job description, e.g. assisting with CDKN meetings and events, taking minutes, etc
- A degree in communications and / or in climate change and/or development
- Experience (one to two years’) in communications, or a strong interest in communications
- Experience working within the nonprofit sector advantageous
- Willingness to learn, adapt and take on new tasks
- Ability to handle multiple and competing tasks and deadlines
- English verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office, WordPress, Google Analytics, social media platforms
- Photography skills, video skills and proficiency in desktop publishing and / or graphic design advantageous
To apply, complete the Google Form available via SouthSouthNorth.org or at https:// Communications Assistant Application and provide three examples of your recent written work that would give us an indication of your writing ability, such as a newspaper article, blog, report, press release etc
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within one week of the closing date.
If you are not contacted within this time period, consider your application unsuccessful.
Unfortunately, the organisation will not able to offer feedback on any application made for this job posting. SouthSouthNorth reserves the right to not make an appointment.
For more about SouthSouthNorth refer to southsouthnorth.org