Freedom of Expression Institute
The Freedom of Expression Institute is a nonprofit, non-governmental organisation which was established in 1994 to protect and foster the rights to freedom of expression. In this, the Institute supports the right of equal access to information and knowledge, promotes the right to protest, assembly and gathering, advocates for a free media environment and opposes censorship in all forms.
The Freedom of Expression Institute seeks to appoint a Researcher, based in Richmond, Johannesburg.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working in close cooperation with the Senior Researcher, the Researcher will be responsible for coordinating and managing focused and generalised research outputs on a broad range of freedom of expression issues. The outputs of the position will feed into policy positions of the Freedom of Expression Institute, expert submissions to government and other bodies, as well as the external media and communications strategy as adopted by the organisation. In turn, the Freedom of Expression Institute will offer a competitive salary, benefits and opportunities for training and advancement.
This is a full-time contract position for a period of 12 months, renewable based on performance.
- Identifying and developing research opportunities and research proposals in line with the scope and objectives of the organisation;
- Applying a variety of qualitative and quantitative research techniques to gather relevant information, including document analysis, desk research, media monitoring, surveys, case studies and interviews (face-to-face, telephone and online);
- Writing up academic-standard research papers that will include appropriate policy and advocacy recommendations for relevant role players and stakeholders.
- Postgraduate degree in Social Sciences, Humanities or other relevant discipline;
- Strong research knowledge and experience in qualitative and quantitative methods;
- Ability to analyse research findings and formulate policy and advocacy recommendations;
- Research output and publication record;
- Excellent knowledge and awareness of the broad human rights, governance and democracy fields; Excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task and manage several focused projects;
- Knowledge of fundraising environment;
- Ability to conceptualise and develop budgets and narrative partnership proposals.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the position you have applied for i.e. “Name+Surname: Researcher” in the subject line.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
The Freedom of Expression Institute is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all who meet the requirements stated, regardless of gender, race, class, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or any other form of bias.
The Institute will limit correspondence to shortlisted candidates only. If you have not heard from the Institute within two weeks after the expiry of the application deadline, please consider your application unsuccessful.
For more about the Freedom of Expression Institute, refer to www.fxi.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.