Social Justice Coalition
The Social Justice Coalition (SJC) is a grassroots social movement campaigning for safe, healthy and dignified communities in some of South Africa’s largest, most under-developed and dangerous townships. We are driven by our vision of advancing the constitutional rights to life, dignity, equality, freedom and safety for all people, but especially those living in informal settlements across South Africa.
The SJC seeks to appoint a full-time Senior Researcher for ourLocal Government (LG) programme, based at the SJC’s office in Khayelitsha, Cape Town.
The programme has three focus areas – sanitation, budgets, and urban land.
- Coordinate and prepare evidence, research, and legal support for the LG rogramme where required; and where necessary, assist to develop and implement SJC policy and legal strategy;
- Undertake and where necessary coordinate primary and secondary research for the programme;
- Produce press and media outputs, and develop education material and curricula for the LG programme;
- Undertake logistical and organisational support for the programme where required
- Track relevant local, provincial, and national legislation and policy;
- Attend relevant meetings and events hosted by government and other organisations.
- Excellent English writing, research and analytical capacity;
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) in related fields; post-graduate degree advantageous Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Willingness to take on additional responsibilities if necessary;
- High level of organisation and systems management;
- Ability to work in a team;
- Proficient with computers and online research;
- Logistics experience;
- Command of isiXhosa writing and speaking advantageous;
- Experience working with community organisations;
- A commitment to social justice.
Starting date: Immediately.
If you feel you meet the above criteria and are interested in joining a hardworking and dynamic team of activists working to improve conditions in South Africa’s townships, submit a CV and a motivation letter (maximum one page) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Social Justice Coalition, refer to www.sjc.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Follow news, information and updates from SANGONeT and NGO Pulse on Facebook athttps://www.facebook.com/ngopulse.