Sex Workers Education and Advocacy Taskforce (SWEAT)
Sex Workers Education and Advocacy Taskforce (SWEAT) is an independent non-governmental organisation. Founded in 1996, it is based in Cape Town and has a nation-wide presence and service reach. SWEAT exists to support adult sex workers who engage in consensual sex work to be able to exercise their human rights. This is achieved through provision of a range of programmes, including counselling and health services, sex worker spaces and legal assistance.
SWEAT seeks to appoint a Finance Officer for the Sisonke Project, based in Cape Town.
The Project Finance Officer is responsible for the processing, capturing and record keeping of financial transactions related to a project within SWEAT. S/he plays a role in the organisation’s ethical, accountable and cost effective operations.
- Prepare the Sisonke Monthly File for the Bookkeeper, ensure all documentation is up-to-date and error free;
- Assist the Sisonke Manager to accurately spend funds to budget, using monthly Variance Reports received from Bookkeeper.
- Submit for Processing all approved Sisonke payments to Senior Finance Officer;
- Conduct reconciliations of payments when required/requested;
- Ensure all payments are submitted with the prescribed paperwork and authority for the payment is given;
- Ensure that all reconciliations are done within 7 days of advance given.
- Submit requests for cash payments with the necessary documentation, to the Senior Finance Officer;
- Ensure all cash advances have the necessary paper work attached, and are approved by the Sisonke National Coordinator, or if she is not available, her Assistant;
- Respond to and document queries from Sisonke debtors/creditors;
- Respond to queries from staff members with regard to Sisonke payments and budgets;
- Respond to queries from the Bookkeeper and Operations and Finance manager with regard to the project;
- Manage service providers.
Programme improvement and planning
- Participate in Financial planning meetings;
- Participate in monitoring the project’s financial management and make recommendations for new systems, approaches and policies;
- Work closely with the Administration Team and Sisonke Management;
- Assist with planning and payments for annual meetings and events;
- Ordering of stationery and office equipment, including observing the necessary procurement processes.
- Maintain filing system, ensuring that all information relating to financial records, donors, governance and projects are accessible and in order (including electronic copies);
- Create and maintain the Project Assets Register;
- Minute – taking of all meetings in Western Cape, including Board Minutes.
- Participate in the annual audit, ensuring documentation is made available to auditors;
- Participate in Finance Team meetings, Sisonke staff meetings, etc;
- Attend to such tasks as designated.
- Queries from the SWEAT Bookkeeper and Operations manager number not more than 5, and these are resolved within three days of them being received;
- Organisational Audit is clean with regard to the Project;
- Project Budget is maintained, spending is within budget.
Supervision required: The incumbent is supervised by the Operations and Finance Manager.
- Minimum of five years experience in finance field, preferably in the nonprofit sector;
- Minimum educational requirement – Matric with mathematics, a diploma in accounts or similar;
- Knowledge of Pastel accounting is recommended;
- Demonstrated ability to produce reports on time;
- Good time management;
- Ability to work independently.
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Team work;
- Skilled at numeracy;
- Interest in empowerment and development.
To apply, submit CV and motivation letter to Pamelac@sweat.org.za -your covering letter must include why you are applying and what skills you have that are relevant for the job.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about the Sex Workers Education and Advocacy Taskforce, refer to www.sweat.org.za.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Want to reach the widest spectrum of NGO and development stakeholders in South Africa as part of your communication and outreach objectives? Learn more about how the NGO Pulse Premium Advertising Service can support your communication requirements. Visit http://goo.gl/MUCvL for more information.