Steve Biko Foundation
Established in 1998, the Steve Biko Foundation is a community development organisation inspired by the legacy of the late anti-apartheid activist.
The Foundation seeks to appoint a Marketing and Event Officer, based at the Steve Biko Centre, in the Ginsberg Township of King William’s Town, Eastern Cape Province.
The incumbent will manage interactions with the public, customers of the conference and banqueting department, and provide information and hospitality services to allCentre visitors. The position reports to the Centre Director.
The successful candidate will be responsible for business development both external and internal, to meet the strategic objectives of the Centre. He or she will oversee the operations of the Reservations, Conferencing and Banqueting departments, including liaison with staff in all relevant departments, in order to ensure the provision of a seamless event service to Centre clients and will additionally manage the Hospitality process at the Centre to ensure that all visitors and guests receive appropriate reception. He or she will oversee the canvassing and winning of new clients for the conferencing and banqueting aspects of the Centre’s business and manage relationships with existing clients, as well as provide input into the development and production of support materials and services in the area of marketing, and communications. He or she will direct and manage the outputs of the Reservations, conferencing and Banqueting staff, and coordinate these at the strategic and tactical levels with the other departments at the Centre.
Marketing and communications
- Have input into the creation, and implementation of a comprehensive marketing program that will enhance the Centre’s image and position within the marketplace and with the general public;
- Manage all Centre marketing activities and materials including client acquisition;
- Co-ordinate and oversee programs, assistance and resources materials to assist other Departments in the marketing, and positioning of their activities;
- Coordinate and oversee regularly relevant market research as well as monitoring and reporting on trends;
- Lead special projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events.
Planning and budgeting
- Have responsibility for the achievement of marketingmissions,goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to thesegoals and objectives and report progress to the Centre Director;
- Monitor industry best practices, current market conditions and competitor information and assist in the development of the Centre’s pricing strategy;
- Keep informed of developments in fields relevant to the specific business of the Centreand not-for-profit management and governance, and using this information help the Centre operate with initiative and innovation;
- Recommend short- and long-term Organization goals and objectives to the Centre Director;
- Develop short- and long-term plans and budgets for the business development activities, monitor progress, assure adherence andevaluate performance;
- Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing and business generation function;
- Act as an internal consultant to bring attention and solutions to institutional priorities.
- Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel;
- Participate in the process of recruitment, training, appraisal, supervision, support, development, promotion and guiding of qualified personnel;
- Ensure effective management within the team with provision for succession;
- Design, support and oversee cross-functional teams throughout the Organization.
Internal and external client relations
- Work closely with internal clients particularly in forecasting, enabling adequate stock reserves to be maintained without wastage, ensuring quality service levels, and ensure that management is kept appraised of relevant new technologies and equipment to maintain the best possible client offering;
- Act as the primary point of contact for clients, cultivating relationships and ensuring effective service delivery;
- Develop, implement and monitor event plans and timelinesliaising with both internal and external service providers;
- Perform administrative tasks and manage internal systems to ensure that all client requirements are satisfied to maximize customer satisfaction;
- Provide hospitality service and key person interaction on behalf of the Foundation to VIP guests;
- Support the execution of Foundation strategy at the account level;
- Provide feedback to marketing team on efficacy of strategy and ensuring that areas of weakness are timeously identified and managed;
- Make recommendations regarding internal processes;
- Track customer activity in internal systems in order to execute on account strategy and identify additional occasions where clients can utilise different areas at the Centre.
- Have a bachelor’s degree in a business, or hospitality and tourism-related degree or equivalent professional qualification with experience in all aspects of developing and managing marketing strategies;
- Have a minimum of five years experience in hospitality and tourism with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit or association sector;
- Have a high level of computer literacy with technical marketing skills experience in relevant software applications and proven experience in customer and market research;
- Be a reliable self-motivated creative and adaptable individual with the ability to lead innovation, to motivate employees and to contribute to impact while simultaneously coordinating a wide range of activities;
- Have leadership qualities with good problem-solving skills, excellent organisational skills;
and the ability to focus on detail;
- Be a good communicator in multiple languages in both spoken and written formats to a wide variety of audiences formal and enjoy formidable presentation skills;
- Be calm, flexible, persuasive and able to work through stressful situations;
- Have a demonstrable commitment to the Foundation, its vision, values and its approach.
Schedule and remuneration:
- The salary and benefits offered are market related and commensurate with experience
- The Marketing and Events Officer will not work standard office hoursbut should be prepared for a minimum of 45 hours per week, based on daily requirements
- Candidates should be prepared to work at evening or weekend shifts within the number of hours on activities associated with the Foundation’s programmes
To apply, submit a detailed CV indicating the post for which you are applying to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For other vacancies in the NGO sector, refer to www.ngopulse.org/vacancies.
Need to upgrade your NGO's technology capacity and infrastructure? Need software and hardware at significantly discounted prices? Refer to the SANGOTeCH online technology donation and discount portal at www.sangotech.org.