The Western Cape Therapeutic Community Centre will host the South African Therapeutic Community Conference from 9-11 December 2009 in Cape Town.
Topics at the conference will range from evidence based practices to offender programmes for those who are incarcerated in our prisons. A variety of both international and local speakers will share what are working and what are simply not working.
- Establishment of African Therapeutic Community Federation that will include members from across Africa to form part of the World Federation of Therapeutic Communities;
- Raising awareness to dangers of HIV/AIDS infections and substance abuse (the increase of heroin addicts in Cape Flats);
- International networking with institutes and organisations and call on their expertise in dealing with substance abuse treatment;
- Establishment of rehabilitation programmes for offenders that are in Correctional supervision and awaiting parole using TC as treatment;
- Different treatment modalities to different cultural groups;
- Establish best practice for programmes that are currently operating as Therapeutic Communities (Regulation of the industry);
- Improve service delivery;
- Capacity building using evidence based programmes.
Who should attend: Social workers, HIV counsellors, substance abuse treatment professionals, correctional services personnel, police and law enforcement officials, nursing staff, etc.
Contact information: Click here.
For more information or to register, click here.