The NGO Pulse Portal is the gateway to the NGO sector in South Africa.
First established as the SANGONeT NGO Portal on 24 October 2005, it raises the profile of South African NGOs both locally and internationally, and supports the process of repositioning and strengthening the sector in response to the development challenges facing South Africa.
The NGO Pulse Portal and weekly NGO Pulse e-newsletter provide a media platform for development news, commentary and debate and promotes interaction and networking in the development sector. In addition to news content, the portal also provides NGO staff with a dedicated source of information about NGO management and sustainability issues.
By the end of February 2013, more than 3.4 million people have visited more than 20 million pages on NGO Pulse, while more than 43 000 people subscribe to the weekly NGO Pulse e-newsletter. Furthermore, NGO Pulse has more than 12 000 registered users (people with the ability upload and publish information on the portal), 5 000 Facebook friends and more than 7 000 Twitter followers.
NGO Pulse is therefore the most strategic and easily-accessible mechanism available today to communicate and network with NGOs in South Africa and/or to learn about the challenges and opportunities facing the sector.
We therefore encourage NGOs and NGO Pulse visitors to directly contribute to the content and information on NGO Pulse.
How to get started:
- To register, go to http://www.ngopulse.org;
- On the homepage, click on “Register” in the top right hand corner of the page;
- Create a new account by completing the fields required - we need your e-mail address to verify your contact information;
- Once you have completed the form, you will see the text - “Thank you for applying for an account. Your account is currently pending approval by the Site Administrator";
- You can then login using your username and password;
- From the homepage, you will see the text - Logout | Do Stuff - this will be an indication that you are logged in.
Once registered and logged in:
- Select "Do Stuff" - you will then be directed to your profile page - from here - select "Create Content";
- Select the content type; i.e. Opportunity, Event, Blog, Press Release, etc. - which will redirect you to a blank form;
- Complete the form with your content;
- Click "Save" - your content will only be visible once published by the Moderator.
The registration process is a once off.
Thereafter, you may use your login details and post content to the NGO Pulse portal at any time.
This service is provided free of charge to NGOs, as well as those supporting the work of the NGO sector.
NGO Pulse Team